Powered By
Rank 869
Crawley hold on for a hard earned point in a 0-0 draw

Crawley hold on for a hard earned point in a 0-0 draw

By Alan Clark
6 October 2019
Share via

Nimi's injury takes the edge off a good result for the Maroons.

Spartan South Midlands League
Premier Division
Saturday 05 Oct 19
Newport Pagnell Town FC 0 v Crawley Green FC 0
Crawley Green came away with a hard won point after being under the cosh for the majority of the second half. The point came at a cost as Crawley lost Oluwanimilo Ajigbolamu (Nimi) who was stretchered off with a bad knee injury in the closing stages of the game. We wish him well in his recovery.

The first half was end to end as Leon Lobjoit headed a cross from the right wide for the hosts. Crawley replied with a Sam Elliott header from a Phil Draycott corner which cannoned off the post.

Crawley's George Rose then saved from Samuel Olawalo before Leon Lobjoit put another header wide. The Maroons had a strong shout for a penalty against Kyle David-Gordon who appeared to handle Aaron Morgan's cross in the box but the Referee thought otherwise and Mark Bunker headed the next cross wide.

Rose did well to turn round another effort from Lobjoit and Christian Smail put the following corner into the side netting. Back came the Maroons with a Draycott shot which was well saved by Nick Bennion and it finished 0-0 at the break.

In the second half Town started to dominate the game and Crawley's defence did well to contain Jim Burnside and Lobjoit. Lobjoit had 2 efforts blocked before Burnside headed over. Tyler Ingham went close for the Maroons and Crawley's Billy Lobjoit fired a shot just over.

Michael Draycott cleared an effort from Olawalo and Adam Marsh blocked a header from David-Gordon. Leon Lobjoit then had a free kick tipped over by Rose before Crawley's Sam MacClelland made a great last ditch tackle to deny Lobjoit. MacClelland and then pressured Lobjoit into shooting wide as it seemed inevitable that Town would break the deadlock.

However it was not to be and in a quick break from Crawley's Mark Bunker came close to stealing the points for the Maroons but his effort was turned round by Bennion.

As Town swarmed forward in the 8 minutes of added time Rose came to Crawley's rescue as he kept out a shot from Lobjoit with his foot. Rose saved twice again from Lobjoit but the Maroon's defence stood firm to hold on to a point.

Next week Crawley Green travel to Mildenhall Town in the FA Vase.

Crawley Green Reserves had no game on Saturday and next week they entertain Bedford Albion.

Share via