Powered By
Rank 722
Crawley progress in the Beds Senior Cup

Crawley progress in the Beds Senior Cup

By Alan Clark
16 October 2019
Share via

The Maroons win on penalties after 1-1 draw

Bedfordshire Senior Cup - 1St Round
Tuesday 15 Oct 19
Biggleswade FC 1 v Crawley Green FC 1
Crawley win 3-2 on penalties.

Crawley progressed into the second round of the Beds Senior Cup by winning the penalty shoot 3-2 after the game finished 1-1. It was a thoroughly entertaining game with chances created at either end. Crawley were the first to create when Billy Lobjoit set up Sam Holmes but his shot was blocked. Two rebounds were then kept out by James Connell in the FC goal before the ball was cleared.

FC replied with a shot from Ryan Inskip which was well saved by Crawley’s George Rose.
Connell then kept out an effort from Mark Bunker and FC came back with shots from Inskip and Charlie Joy which were saved by Rose.

Crawley’s Sam Holmes fizzed a shot across goal after a good run down the right and FC’s Dan Newton had a header deflected for a corner. It was then Rose’s turn to keep out a header and a rebound from Michael Fisher before FC took the after 41 minutes.

Charlie Joy collected the ball on the right following a quick break and he drove the ball past Rose to make it 1-0. A goal just before the break failed to daunt the Maroon’s and after 45 minutes they were level. Lobjoit found Holmes on the right and he smashed the ball on the volley over Connell to make in 1-1 at the break.

The second half opened with a double save from Rose to deny Sean McMonagle. Crawley’s Michael Draycott then made a last ditch tackle to halt Inskip and Joy followed with a free kick which went over.

In the 70th minute Connell made a great save from a Phil Draycott free kick and he also recovered to save the follow up effort from Holmes. A Tom Coles shot was kept by a cracking save from Rose and Crawley replied with a shot from Lobjoit which went just over.
In added time Inskip had a free kick blocked by Crawley’s wall and Barnes lashed the rebound wide and that was that.

Honours even and now for the dreaded penalties.

In the shoot-out Nathan George opened FC’s account. Crawley’s Aaron Morgan, Sam Holmes and Billy Lobjoit all scored as Inskip missed the target and Rose kept out Tom Coles’ effort with his legs. 3-1 to the Maroons was quickly reduced to 3-2 as Kieran Barnes netted.

Up stepped Calum Yates to win the game for Crawley but his shot was turned around by Connell diving to his left. FC’s Tom Cookman was next up to expectantly level the scores but he blasted the ball wide and Crawley won the shoot-out 3-2.

Next Saturday Crawley travel to Broadfields United who ground share with Harefield United.

Share via