News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Cray Wanderers vs Hastings United FA Trophy 19/10/14

Cray Wanderers vs Hastings United FA Trophy 19/10/14

Mark Hunt19 Oct 2014 - 20:01
Share via

Ian Daly's fine strike helps Wands advance in FA Trophy


Cray Wanderers 2
Daly 76, Welford 90+1 (p)

Hastings United 0

Cray advanced to the 1st Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy following a deserved victory over Hastings United at Hayes Lane.

After the luxury of a free midweek the Wands were able to welcome back Ian Daly and Ishmael Welsh to the starting lineup from injury. Nicky Taylor in goal and Isa Hussein in midfield came into the side from the game against Soham Town.

Cray started the game very well and dominated the first half without being able to put the ball in the net. In the second minute, Hussein’s corner was punched away by Josh Pelling and his return ball back in fell to CJ Williams who shot straight at Pelling.

In the fifth minute a bad pass back from Tim Olorunda was pounced on by Shaun Welford whose shot was turned wide by Pelling. From the resulting corner, Rory Hill lashed a shot wide.

The game went into something of a lull until the 28th minute when Daly’s ball in was headed on by Welford to Michael Phillips inside the box whose shot was blocked by Sean Ray for a corner.

Two minutes before half time Isa’s fine free kick from 25 yards out was tipped over by Pelling. In stoppage time, Phillips nodded wide from a corner as Cray ended the half on top.

Half Time: 0-0

The second half was a different game altogether as Hastings who were non-existent in attack in the first half came out more and Kenny Pogue tested Taylor with a low shot from the edge of the box. Ade Olorunda with a flick header wide and Taser Hassan with a shot over the top threatened for the visitors.

Hastings looked more likely scorers for a while and half way through the half they forced a number of corners and from a corner from Richard Rose, Ade Olorunda headed over the top. Then a neat move brought Pogue into the box but elected to play the ball across rather than shoot for goal.

On 73 minutes Sam Adams free kick from 30 yards out was brilliantly tipped over by Taylor. A minute later Cray came close to scoring when Kerry Kedze’s ball in from the left fell to Daly who on the turn shot wide of the right post.

A couple of minutes later Cray took the lead with an excellent goal by Daly. Kedze’s inswinging ball to the back post was knocked back by Welford to Daly who hit a great shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Hill shot wide for Cray whilst Hastings best chance in the last ten minutes came when Kevin Keehan’s shot was deflected over for a corner.

The game had a few minutes of stoppage time and in the second minute of added time Cray wrapped up the tie when Welford was bundled over in the box by Sean Ray. Shaun then despatched the penalty and Cray won the game and earned themselves a home tie with Faversham Town in the 1st Qualifying Round on 1st November.

Cray: Nick Taylor, Cesc Fakinos, Marlon Patterson, Nick Humprhey, CJ Williams, Hussein Isa (Abi Bojiji, 70), Rory Hill, Michael Phillips (Capt.), Shaun Welford, Ian Daly, Ishmael Welsh (Kerry Kedze, 70): Subs: Adrian Stone, Steve Springett, Gary Beckett

Booked: Daly

Hastings United: Josh Pelling, Richard Rose, Mitchell Hand (Sam Cruttwell, 54), Kevin Keehan, Sean Ray, Marc Pullan, Tim Olorunda (Ronnie Dolan, 64), Sam Adams (Capt.) Ade Olorunda, Taser Hassan, Kenny Pogue (Bright Tempa, 81)

Booked: Hand, Ray

Referee: Craig Green
Assistants: Amadou Jallow, Michael Coen

Attendance: 218

Further reading