News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Histon vs Cray Wanderers 15/11/14

Histon vs Cray Wanderers 15/11/14

Mark Hunt15 Nov 2014 - 22:27
Share via

Wands through to 3rd Qualifying round after great result at Histon

FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round

Histon 0

Cray Wanderers 2
Welford 14, Hill 73

Cray bounced back from last Saturday’s defeat against Tilbury to advance to the 3rd Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy following a very professional, polished and disciplined performance against Histon from the Southern League Premier Division.

Cray made two changes to the starting line up with CJ Williams and Hussein Isa starting in place of Adrian Stone and Ian Daly.

The game started very brightly with both teams looking to go forward. Ishmael Welsh was unlucky when he got on the end of Isa’s pass and his effort on goal was cleared almost off the line by Stuart Wall. Within a minute, Nick Freeman hit a shot just over for the home side.

Rory Hill put in a good cross which Isa’s attempted half volley was saved by Denzel Gerrar. Lewis McDonald’s shot was deflected for a corner and Ashley White hit a fine shot which went just over.

A minute later Cray took the lead with a goal which owed much to the strength and quality of Shaun Welford. He showed a great turn of pace and power to burst his way into the area and he hit an accomplished finish wide of Gerrar to score.

Histon enjoyed a good spell of possession after that but Cray defended very well and Mateusz Kuzminksi was denied by a great tackle by Danny Lye on the half hour when through on goal. Hill had two efforts on goal for Cray, the second from a free kick. In between Kuzminksi put a header wide for Histon.

The game changed on 42 minutes when Histon were reduced to ten men when Rogan McGeorge was sent off for a late tackle on Marlon Patterson.

Half Time: 0-1

Histon made a couple of substitutions at half time which gave them more pace but it was Cray who almost scored again when Welsh’s header went just over the bar.

Histon started to apply more pressure for 10-15 minutes and Cray found it hard to keep the ball. Freeman shot wide for HIston before substitute James Akintunde was denied by a great tackle by CJ Williams inside the area.

However, the last twenty minutes of the game Cray started to dictate and took the sting out of the game and were unlucky not to score when Welford headed Patterson’s cross across goal which no-one was able to get on the end of. Rory Hill then shot over the crossbar.

The Wands increased their lead on 73 minutes following a clever breakaway. A Histon set piece was cleared by Welsh and his pass fell to Hill who ran on and passed again to Welsh who then in return set up Hill who fired home a great finish.

Histon tried to get back into the game and Freeman’s shot was parried away by Darren Behcet, whilst Cray almost scored again when Welsh’s cross was headed just wide by Michael Phillips.

The last chance of the game fell to Histon when Matt Lowe made a fine run into the box but he put his shot well over the top. Cray saw out the game after that to earn themselves a place in Monday’s draw for the next round.

Cray: Darren Behcet, CJ Williams, Marlon Patterson,
Nick Humphrey, Danny Lye (Capt.), Cesc Fakinos, Rory Hill,
Michael Phillips, Shaun Welford (Adrian Stone, 77), Hussein Isa, Ishmael Welsh: Subs: Ian Daly, Max Fitzgerald, Dmitri Larin, Kery Kedze

Histon: Denzel Gerrar, Lewis McDonald, Ashley White (Matt Lowe H/T), Evan Key, Stuart Wall (Capt.), Danny Rumens, Eugene Libertucci, Rogan McGeorge, Mateusz Kuzminski (Joe Peacock 70), Curtis Fulcher (James Akintunde H/T), Nick Freeman
Subs: George Root, Cameron Watson

Sent Off: McGeorge 42
Booked: Fulcher, Wall, Libetucci

Referee: Mr. Jake Hillier
Assistants: Mr. A. Hursey, Mr. M. Stevens

Att. 203

Further reading