News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Weymouth vs Cray Wanderers FA Trophy 29/11/14

Weymouth vs Cray Wanderers FA Trophy 29/11/14

Mark Hunt29 Nov 2014 - 23:29
Share via

Wands go out of FA Trophy despite fine performance

FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round

Weymouth 3
Yetton 31, 64 (p), Plummer 84

Cray Wanderers 1
Stone 15

Cray’s great run in the FA Trophy came to an end at Weymouth but only after giving a great account of themselves and helped to produce a very good cup tie.

Cray started with Adrian Stone and Lol Hamici up front with Shaun Welford out through injury and Marlon Patterson returning from suspension

The first half was very entertaining with Cray starting the game with great composure and not looking at all overawed at being underdogs.

To show that Cray meant business the first chance of the game fell to the Wands on six minutes when Michael Phillips set up Hussein Isa who shot across the goal and wide.

Two minutes later Weymouth had a great chance to take the lead when Tim Sills flick on fell to George Rigg who with time shot wide. Shortly after Chris Shepherd’s free kick from 20 yards went just over the top.

On fifteen minutes Cray were in dreamland when they took the lead when Patterson put in a great cross down the left which Hamici got a slight touch which deceived Jordan Copp and fell to Stone who tucked home a very composed finish.

Hamici tested keeper Jason Matthews with a decent shot which was parried and a minute later Shepherd curled a shot which went just wide.

On 31 minutes Weymouth levelled the scores with a very well worked goal when Copp played in Shepherd who ran into the box and crossed which was flicked on by Sills to Stewart Yetton who headed home from 4 yards.

Weymouth shaded the rest of the half but their best effort came when Shepherd hit a half volley straight at Darren Behcet.

Half Time: 1-1

The second half carried on in the same vein with Weymouth having more of the ball but Cray looking a threat on the break.

Hussein Isa hit a free kick wide and Hamici hit a shot straight at Matthews for Cray. Weymouth were applying pressure but defensively Cray seemed secure.

However on 64 minutes Weymouth took the lead following a rather soft penalty award. Dmitri Larin was adjudged to have nudged Adam Kelly inside the box and the referee pointed to the spot. Yetton hit his second goal of the game with a very well struck penalty.

Cray kept going and almost levelled on 71 minutes when Patterson’s cross was nodded on by Stone to Hamici who volleyed just wide of the goal.

Rigg had a shot blocked by Behcet and the follow up was shot wide by Kelly for Weymouth. Then Cray came close when Isa’s corner was nodded over by Max Fitzgerald.

The game was sealed for Weymouth in the 84th minute when substitute Tristan Plummer played the ball in which Yetton got a touch ahead of Behcet and Plummer bundled the ball over the line.

So Cray went out despite a fine effort and have much to be proud of during the cup run. The Wands are now free to concentrate on the league and the need to move away from the bottom of the table.

Cray: Darren Behcet, Dmitri Larin, Marlon Patterson (Steve Springett, 90), C J Williams, Max Fitzgerald, Michael Phillips, Cesc Fakinos, Ian Daly (Kery Kedze, 62), Adrian Stone, Laurent Hamici, Hussein Isa: Subs: Gary Beckett, Shaun Welford, Lamin Bah

Booked: Daly, Larin

Weymouth: Jason Matthews, Ashley Wells, Jordan Copp (Tristan Plummer, 79), Chris McPhee, Jamie Laird (Jake Wannell, 70), Calvin Brookes, Steve Colwell (Adam Kelly, 62), George Rigg, Stewart Yetton (Capt.), Tim Sills, Chris Shepherd
Subs: Conor Jevon, Sam Poole

Referee: Adam Ricketts
Assistants: Jack Seymour, Andrew Sheppard

Att. 409

Further reading