Powered By
Rank 261
Sat 03
2nd XV
Sidmouth 21 - 15 Crediton

Sidmouth 21 - 15 Crediton

By Shane Bayley
Share via

Quins started stongly.

Sidmouth kicked off their first home game of the 2011/12 season and should have taken the lead in the opening minute; but an easy three points were stupidly neglected in favour of a tap penalty. The visitors made no mistake with their first opportunity taking an early lead through a penalty before missing another minutes later. This was as good as it got for the visitors, as they did not manage to score again until the dying minutes. Crediton did have the better of the early stages, both possession wise and territorially, but could not break down the stubborn Quins’ defence. The Quins’ did have a few early trips in to the Crediton half but to no avail.
The game stagnated for periods with both sides seemingly intent on knocking the ball on, conceding turnovers and conceding penalties. Both sides created a couple of half chances but lacked the composure to finish them off to full effect. After another spell of scrappy play in the middle third of the field, the momentum of the game shifted considerably in favour of the home side. This was due to the referee sending a Crediton player to the sin-bin. Unfortunately the penalty attempt by James Powell was off target. The Quins’ did not have to wait long to have their noses in front; Scott Davies adding the finish to a good counter attack down the grandstand touchline, involving Tom Seward. The conversion attempt by Powell was successful, which opened up a four point lead. Despite the best efforts of both sides the score remained the same going into the interval.
The Quins’ made a couple of changes at the interval; both tactical and positional. Replacement flanker James Perry made his presence felt at the break down and in the loose carrying the ball well on a number of occasions. The Quins’ extended their lead further early in the half through a Seward try. The centre broke through his opposite numbers tackle to touch down to the right of the posts. Powell was again on target with his conversion. Moments later the Quins’ almost scored what would no doubt have been a contender for try of the season. Following a turnover metres from their line the Quins’ began a flowing move up the hospital touchline that almost went the distance. Unfortunately the final pass was knocked on over the Crediton line, much to the disappointment of the home support. The Quins’ almost scored from the resulting scrum too, but the referee adjudged otherwise allowing Crediton to clear. The Quins’ pressure, persistence and patience did eventually tell; with a second try for Davies following another break by Seward. Powell again converted well to open an 18 point lead. The Quins’ continued to dominate the proceedings and at times played some good free flowing rugby with forwards (especially the back row) and backs linking well, as well as putting in the hard yards when necessary.
The Crediton side did come back into the game in the last ten minutes scoring two tries; albeit one very debateable score according to the home side. The Quins’ defence obviously tiring after a succession of pick and drives by the visiting forwards. The score at the final whistle flatters Crediton if truth be known as the Quins’ outplayed their guests both in attack and defence for long periods and could have scored a lot more than they did. May be it was just down early season nerves or over-enthusiasm or perhaps the Quins’ were just clinical enough, which is something they must be against the stronger teams if they are to succeed; only time will tell.
Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 03, Sep 2011