Powered By
Rank 1099
Daisy Hill 0 Bury AFC 5

Daisy Hill 0 Bury AFC 5

By Daisy Hill FC
25 August
Share via

A winning start for Bury AFC in their first ever game.

A fine second half display from the newly formed Bury AFC saw them run out 5-0 winners over Daisy Hill in an all ticket friendly match at New Sirs.

The visitors' first ever game had sparked plenty of interest, with a number of media representatives gathered under the covered enclosure to cover the game, and there was much to enjoy about a free flowing 90 minutes that produced plenty of chances.

It was Daisy who had the first clear cut chance on 12 minutes, when a ball over the top was flicked on by Jack Iley into the path of Joe Mullarkey, whose shot beat Bury keeper Ed Wilczynski but rebounded off the post.

Straight up the other end Sam Clark came desperately close to connecting with a driven in cross from the right as Bury delivered an immediate response.

But the first goal of the evening wasn't long in coming and Matty Williams wrote his name into the Bury AFC history books by scoring their first ever goal.

Picking up a pass on the right hand side of the area, Williams took a touch and curled a shot towards the far corner of the goal, and the ball ended up in the back of the net despite a desperate attempt by Macauley Farrington to keep the ball out.

It was a goal that settled the visitors down, and they began to enjoy more possession and pressure, but just after the half hour Daisy had a chance to draw level when Hensley Mills played Jack Iley in on goal, but his shot was blocked by a covering defender.

But Bury finished the half on the front foot with Aaron Dwyer denied by a good block from Daisy keeper Cameron Allison, before Mitch Bryant blazed over and Sam Cook sent a header wide.

Bury made wholesale changes at half time, but the rhythm of the team wasn't disrupted and they went 2-0 up 11 minutes into the second half.

It was a goal that Daisy keeper Cameron Allison will want to forget, though, as he attempted to dribble the ball past Adam McWilliam but the Bury man stuck out a foot to divert the ball into the unguarded net.

From then on it was Bury who took control, and the third goal arrived at the midway point in the second half, and a fine solo effort it was too, with Lewis Gilboy going on a surging run into the box, shrugging off a challenge curling a shot into the far corner.

The fourth goal arrived 17 minutes from time, with the trialist full back showing fin attacking instinct by advancing into the box and finishing with a well struck shot in the net pat Alliison.

The scoring was rounded off nine minutes from time when Patrick Carney's cross was headed home at the near post by Adam McWilliam for his second of the night.

Daisy kept going right to the end and hit the woodwork for the second time in the game three minutes from the end, when Tom Jackson rifled in a shot from the right hand edge of the area.

But it was a night that belonged to Bury AFC, who began their footballing journey in fine style under under the floodlights at New Sirs.

Share via