Powered By
Rank 1099
Nelson game washed out

Nelson game washed out

By Daisy Hill FC
5 October
Share via

Daisy's opening game of the season was abandoned after 64 minutes.

Daisy Hill’s unconventional start to the season continued again on Monday night, with the home game against Nelson abandoned after 64 minutes.

With the teams tied at 1-1, the referee finally called a halt after the pitch became waterlogged following a long period of torrential rain that began during the first half.

With standing water in some areas of the pitch, and pitch markings almost washed away in places, there was no disputing that the referee’s decision was correct.

The abandonment was all the more frustrating for the home side, given that last Saturday’s scheduled game against Prestwich Heys was postponed by the match referee 45 minutes before kick off.

Despite the shocking conditions on Monday, the players of Daisy Hill and Nelson did their best to play attacking football and the spectators who braved the elements did have some decent moments of action to enjoy.

The opening 20 minutes saw both sides enjoy a share of possession, but few clear chances were created until the game burst into life just after the midway point.

Daisy Hill opened the scoring on 24 minutes with debutant Connor Hughes marking his first appearance with a fine goal.

Good build up play from Matty Davison and Danny Warburton set Adam Farrell free down the right, and his cross to the far post found Fletcher, who buried a cracking shot across the keeper in to the far corner of the net.

However, the lead lasted only five minutes before Nelson drew level, with Daniel Taylor bursting through a gap in the home defence down the right flank, before delivering a cross into the box that found Zac Clark with time and space to plant a header past Daisy keeper Cameron Allison.

A few minutes later, the strong running Taylor caused the home defence problems once again, this time with a surging run down the opposite flank before driving the ball into the path of Sam Dickinson who fired just over the bar.

By this point, the heavy rain had begun and as conditions became more difficult, the players inevitably had difficulty in playing passing football.

Daisy's next home game is this coming Saturday, when Prestwich Heys visit once again in the rearranged fixture that was postponed last weekend.

A few minutes before half time, a Daisy attack ended when Matty Knowles was unceremoniously taken out by a challenge from Nelson’s William Nolan which earned the defender a yellow card.

Danny Warburton’s subsequent free kick flew wide of the target.

After the break, as conditions worsened, Dexter Brierley fired wide after a Matty Davison free kick was only half cleared, and as the game approached the hour mark, Nelson’s Zac Clark found the back of the net only to be ruled offside.

But in the 64th minute, the referee finally abandoned the game as the continued torrential rain made the playing conditions unsafe.

Share via