Powered By
Rank 797
Sat 04
1st Team
AFC Blackpool
No New Year joy for Daisy

No New Year joy for Daisy

By Daisy Hill FC
Share via

Daisy Hill's unbeaten run was ended in the opening game of 2020, with a 2-1 home defeat to AFC Blackpool.

For the second time in three months, AFC Blackpool emerged victorious from a game at New Sirs, with two goals in the space of two minutes on the half hour mark proving to be decisive in a close fought encounter.

In the Macron Cup game between the two sides in October, AFC Blackpool ran out comfortable winners with a 6-3 victory, but this league encounter was a close fought affair that could easily have swung either way.

The opening stages saw both sides enjoy a share of possession, but the first clear chance was created by the visitors on 13 minutes.

A surging run down the right from Lewis Simmons led to him cutting the ball back for full back Kai Steer to drive a cross into the box, and Jamie Thomas curled a shot just wide of the far post.

AFC Blackpool had another good chance five minutes later when a quickly taken free kick played Gregory McCaragher through on goal, but he blazed a shot over the bar from a good position.

Daisy's first chance arrived in the 22nd minute when Jamie Ramwell flicked the ball into the path of Danny Warburton, whose attempt to loft the ball over the keeper narrowly missed the target.

But Warburton had better fortune two minutes later when he opened the scoring with a well taken goal.

Latching on to a long ball played down the left, Warburton shrugged off a challenge before curling a 25 yard shot over the head of Blackpool keeper Cameron Alexander that hit the underside of the crossbar before nestling in the back of the net.

But the visitors' response was immediate, and the game turned in their favour with two goals in as many minutes as the game approached the half hour mark.

The equaliser came when a Lewis Simmons free kick was headed out into the path of midfielder Ben Fishwick, who smashed a cracking 20 yarder into the corner of the net that gave Cameron Allison in the Daisy goal no chance.

Two minutes later Allison was beaten again, and once more Simmons was involved, this time going on a run down the right before squaring the ball to Gregory McCaragher who beat the Daisy keeper with a cool side footed finish from 12 yards.

After Jacob Ridings shot wide after good work from Jamie Ramwell and Danny Warburton, Ben Fishwick came close to adding a second goal to his tally with another long range shot, but Allison in the Daisy goal made a fine save, diving full length to push the ball away.

The second half produced fewer clear cut chances, but both sides spurned opportunities to add to their respective goal tallies.

Six minutes after the restart, a fine run down the left from Hensley Mills led to him setting up Jamie Ramwell for a shooting chance, but the Daisy striker was foiled in a one-on-one by a fine blocking save by Blackpool keeper Alexander.

A flurry of chances arrived at the midway point in the half, with Billy McKenna and Gregory McCaragher both having shots cleared off the line during a goalmouth scramble in the Daisy area, and then at the other end Alexander in the AFC Blackpool goal leapt acrobatically to push away a Dean Singleton header that was heading for the top corner of the net.

AFC Blackpool substitute Ryan Vaughan was then twice denied by Daisy keeper Allison in quick succession, the keeper first of all tipping a header over the bar and then from the resulting corner, making a fine save from a low shot.

But as the game moved into stoppage time, Daisy spurned two great chances to grab a dramatic equaliser.

The first came from a free kick right on the edge of the Blackpool penalty area, after James Bateman had been pushed over by Billy McKenna as he advanced in on goal.

Jamie Ramwell's free kick was blocked by the Blackpool wall, and when the ball fell to Ellis Worrall, his shot was gathered low at the near post by Alexander.

There was still more drama to come though, and with the clock showing four minutes of stoppage time played, Daisy came even closer to snatching a share of the points when they created one last chance.

James Bateman was once again the architect, when he outpaced the Blackpool defence on the right, and drove in a cross that fell perfectly into the path of Jamie Ramwell.

But the ball took a bobble at the vital moment, Ramwell's head was in his hands as he watched his shot fly over the crossbar from 10 yards, and the final whistle moments later ended Daisy's hopes of taking something from the game.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 04, Jan 2020






First Division North

League position

AFC Blackpool
Daisy Hill