Powered By
Rank 1049
Sat 25
St Helens Town
1st Team
Record breaking win for Daisy

Record breaking win for Daisy

By Daisy Hill FC
Share via

Daisy Hill racked up their biggest ever goal haul in the NWCFL with an 8-3 win at St Helens Town.

A hat trick from debutant Tyler Rufus was the highlight of a memorable afternoon in the history of Daisy Hill at the Arcoframe Stadium.

Five different players got on the scoresheet for Daisy, who were 3-0 up after 15 minutes, 4-1 ahead at half time and in the end achieved their highest ever score in a North West Counties League game, beating the previous record of seven goals in a 7-6 win over Burnley Bank Hall in 1993.

Incredibly, there could easily have been more goals in a game that flowed from end to end from the first blast of referee Barry Cropp's whistle.

The goalscoring floodgates opened in the fourth minute when Tyler Rufus marked his debut with the opening goal.

Jacob Ridings was the creator, delivering a right wing cross into the box which Rufus controlled and then fired in a shot that St Helens keeper Carl Williams got a hand to, but couldn't keep out of the net.

The Daisy debutant then added a second goal to his tally in the 10th minute, and on this occasion Sam Howell provided the assist.

Howell did well to break up a St Helens attack on the edge of his own box, and then advanced forward before delivering a terrific long ball to Rufus who took a great first touch before burying a shot into the bottom corner of the net.

A minute later Howell almost got on the scoresheet himself with a first time shot that just missed the target, but the next goal arrived on 15 minutes when Dean Singleton rose to power a downward header into the net from a right wing free kick to make it 3-0.

The shell shocked home side mounted a response when Joshua Holt unleashed a 25 yarder that rebounded off the crossbar and fell to Lewis Fearns who headed the ball straight at Daisy keeper Dean Williams.

But Fearns had better luck on 21 minutes, when he finished off a sweeping move with a shot high into the top corner to reduce the arrears.

Straight from the kick off, Jake O'Brien had a long range shot palmed away by Williams in the St Helens goal, and Jamie Ramwell then had a shot cleared off the line approaching the half hour mark as Daisy continued to apply the pressure.

But Daisy restored their three goal lead in the 31st minute when a Jake O'Brien shot was deflected into the path of Dean Singleton who smashed the ball into the net for his second of the game.

The Daisy pressure was relentless as they went in search of more goals and after Jacob Ridings glanced a header wide from a Jamie Ramwell cross, Tyler Rufus came close to sealing his hat trick four minutes from half time, when he was denied in a one-on-one by a block from St Helens keeper Williams.

But 10 minutes into the second half Rufus finally got his third of the afternoon, when he got on the end of a Jamie Ramwell cross to head home from close range.

As the game moved into the final 20 minutes, newly introduced substitute Jordan Hussey was the architect behind Daisy's sixth goal of the afternoon, when he raced down the left and cut the ball back into the box for Jacob Ridings to side foot a shot into the bottom corner.

Almost immediately St Helens pulled a goal back when a long ball forward caught out the Daisy defence, and Obua Mugalula steered the ball past the advancing Dean Williams.

With 12 minutes remaining, it was 7-2 when Joe Mullarkey glanced a close range header in at the near post from a Danny Warburton corner, and three minutes later Jamie Ramwell got the goal that his performance deserved when he fired home Daisy's eighth goal from the penalty spot after Jacob Ridings had been upended in the box.

Obua Mugalula did grab one final crumb of comfort for a beleaguered home side when he added a third goal for St Helens, picking up the ball on the right wing before cutting inside and picking his spot with a shot across the keeper into the far corner of the net.

But the final whistle brought down the curtain on an incredible 8-3 win for Daisy and a memorable afternoon in the club's history.

It's only the third time in the league's 38 year history that a team has recorded an 8-3 win away from home, and the last occurrence was back in November 1988 when Colwyn Bay won by the same score at Skelmersdale United.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 25, Jan 2020






First Division North

League position

Daisy Hill
St Helens Town