Powered By
Rank 797
Sat 07
1st Team
Garstang hit Daisy for seven

Garstang hit Daisy for seven

By Daisy Hill FC
Share via

A second half collapse saw Daisy Hill lose 7-1 at Garstang.

An afternoon that started brightly ended in a horror show for Daisy Hill, who shipped six second half goals in a 7-1 defeat to Garstang.

On a heavy pitch that was hosting its first game after being under floodwater a few weeks ago, the floodgates opened in the second half after the teams had been level at half time, with six different Garstang players getting on the scoresheet.

It was a final result that was difficult to comprehend after Daisy had taken an early lead and competed well during an evenly matched opening 45 minutes.

Inside the first minute, Daisy took the lead with a terrific goal from skipper Henley Mills, who curled a 25 yard shot into the top corner of the net to get the visitors off to a perfect start.

But Garstang were level ten minutes later when Johnathan Hothersall was bundled over in the box, and he picked himself up and sent keeper Cameron Allison the wrong way as he drilled the resulting penalty kick into the bottom corner of the net.

Three minutes later Hothersall came close again with a shot that was beaten away by Allison. and then at the other end Jamie Ramwell was unlucky when he went on a mazy dribble that took him past three defenders before sending a shot into the side netting.

Play flowed from end to end with chances in front of both goals, and nine minutes before half time Hensley Mills almost repeated his feat from earlier when he fired a cracking shot that was pushed over the bar by the Garstang keeper Will Kitchen.

Kitchen was in action again two minutes before half time, this time to push a Tyler Rufus header on to the cross bar after the striker had met a cross from Josh Fairhurst.

But on the stroke of half time, Daisy had a great chance to take the lead when they were awarded a penalty, after Rufus was tripped in the penalty area.

The referee initially waved play on, but changed his mind after consulting with his assistant, who had flagged for the infringement.

However, although Jamie Ramwell's well struck spot kick beat the keeper, the ball hit the base of the post before rebounding clear.

It was, none the less, an encouraging end to the first half for Daisy, but no one could have anticipated how the tide would turn after the break.

Three minutes into the second half, a free kick into the box was nodded down into the path of Jack Flackett, who smashed the ball in from close range to give Garstang the lead for the first time, and it went downhill from there.

Two minutes later Jake Salisbury hit the post with a 30 yarder, but Daisy's respite was only temporary as Johnathan Hothersall added Garstang's third goal on 53 minutes after he won a challenge for a long through ball, and finished well with a shot into the bottom corner.

Just after the hour, Jacob Ridings came close to pulling one back for Daisy when he fired over from a Hensley Mills free kick, but at the mid way point of the half, Andrew Murphy put the game further out of reach with Garstang's fourth goal when he curled a free kick over the defensive wall from long range.

Nick Webster made it 5-1 with just under 20 minutes left, when he squeezed a shot into the far corner of the net through a crowded penalty area, and from then it was a case of damage limitation for Daisy.

But Garstang weren't finished as Rick Coar headed home a sixth goal on 78 minutes from a cross to the far post, although Daisy did come close to pulling a goal back almost immediately when a cross-cum-shot from substitute Jani Calaku hit the post with the keeper beaten.

However, Garstang rounded off a miserable afternoon for the visitors when substitute Gary Basterfield made it 7-1 with a close range shot three minutes from time.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 07, Mar 2020






First Division North

League position

Daisy Hill