Sat 27
Jubilee Sports
1st Team
Second half comeback halted at the death

Second half comeback halted at the death

By James Benfold
Share via

United looked as if they might have grabbed a point as they came back to level matters from a 2-0 half time deficit but a late goal denied them any reward

In truth the home side should have been out of sight at the break as they scored 2, had another 2 kicked off the line and created a number of other opportunities which United were glad to survive. The first goal came after only 4 minutes, Reds keeper Jordan Dever made a smart save from a shot pushing the ball out to his right however the ball was played back across goal and a home striker with his back to goal turned and stroked the ball into the goal to give the hosts the lead. United's only effort in these early stages were a rising shot from Aiden Oakley but this was always rising. A weaving dribble finished with a shot for the home side while Louis McKie blocked a shot on the line and Ashley Cantrill was needed to race back and clear the ball as it bobbled towards an open goal after the United defence looked all at sea. If the home side should have been further ahead than 1-0 they doubled their lead with a gift from United, a back pass from Chris Haines to keeper Dever, when he might have been better clearing the ball instead, resulted in a weak clearance from Dever as he was pressurised and the ball reached a home player who stroked it into goal.

At the break at only 2-0 down United at least were in with a chance if they could improve their performance and they were given a chance when the hosts were reduced to 10 men only a couple of minutes into the second period after one of their players threw a couple of punches after he tangled with Ashley Cantrill. This incident put United on the front foot as they pushed forward to get back into the game and only a few minutes after that red card they reduced the arrears, after forcing a number of corners, one of these provided Steve Ellor with the chance to swivel and poke the ball home. United fancied their chances now and pushed forward in search of the equaliser, Louis Mckie saw a header saved before the Reds drew level with some good fortune of their own, Ellor in a central position turned superbly in possession and fed Sean Atkinson out on the left, the keeper raced out to chase down the ball but a mix up between defender and keeper saw the ball come back to Ellor and from 30 yards out he was able to lob the ball over the keeper into an unguarded goal to level the scores.

United were now firmly on the front foot with a shots from Oakley and Ellor as well as another goal bound header from McKie being cleared away, in fairness to Jubilee Sports they also had good moments of their own , Dever being required to pull off a fantastic save from a shot as well as a quick break which saw the Reds backpedalling before clearing. Unfortunately United were left without a share of the spoils when the home side scored what proved to be the winner, Neil Spruce seemed harshly judged to have conceded a foul out on the left with the free kick played towards the back post, it was then headed back across goal with an unmarked home player free to head home.

This proved to be a bitter sweet day for the reds, they deserved little or nothing from a very poor first half display but the second period performance gave them some hope only to fall to defeat late on.
Final Score Jubilee Sports 3-2 United

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 27, Oct 2018




Premier Division

League position

Jubilee Sports
Denaby United