Sat 05
Stocksbridge PS Res
1st Team
First Team Suffer New Year Hangover

First Team Suffer New Year Hangover

By James Benfold
Share via

United suffered a 3-0 loss at Stocksbridge PS Res having played no football for 5 weeks,

Weather postponements and the Christmas break saw United take to the field for the first time since the 1st December where they faced a side in 4th spot, Stocksbridge PS Res.

The first opening did actually come United's way when Steve Ellor dragged his shot wide from an angle after being played in by Joe Hayden. The home side responded with an effort from Luke Townsend whose toe poke shot was saved by Neil Spruce in the United goal however the stand in keeper was left feeling red faced when he gifted the home side a lead when he inexplicably dropped a simple cross leaving the home side's Mohammed Saeed the simple job of prodding it over the line though he almost put the ball over the bar, he was spared any blushes when he saw the ball strike the underside of the bar and drop over the line to give his lead they had not really earned by this stage.

Trying to get level a Paul Mills header from a free kick fell to Louis McKie but he put his volley over the bar. Luke Townsend was looking lively and he saw a free kick just go wide of goal after a foul by Ashley Cantrill while home keeper William Bond had to race smartly out of goal to clear as Steve Ellor and Aiden Oakley both raced onto a long ball forward while Chris Haines worked hard to force a throw in from which Ashley Cantrill fired a shot just wide.

Trailing 1-0 at the break, something the team perhaps did not deserve they went into the second period hoping to force themselves back on level terms but the man Townsend was looking dangerous and had a couple of digs at goal without getting any of them on target. For United a cross from the left found it's way to Chris Haines at the far post but a desperate block by a home defender saw the ball diverted for a corner. On 65 minutes the home side increased their lead from that man Townsend, taking possession out on the right he moved inside and fired in a lovely curing shot which nestled inside the far post for a 2-0 advantage. It might have been 3 when Stocksbridge were awarded a penalty after a shirt tug by Paul Mills however Spruce made some amends for his earlier howler by saving the spot kick.

Having be inactive for such a long time it was inevitable that United would tire and though Steve Ellor saw a header well saved by keeper Willaims the home side began to push forward even more and put some gloss to the scoreline when Oliver Warren hit a fantastic volley (which 3 keepers would have struggled to keep out) as they took the points with a 3-0 success.
Final Score Stocksbridge PS Res 3-0 United

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 05, Jan 2019




Premier Division

League position

Stocksbridge PS Res
Denaby United