Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Denbigh Town Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Denbigh Town
Sat 29 Sep 14:30 - Huws Gray Alliance League - Huws Gray Alliance Full time Attendance 203

Town are hit for six


Porthmadog FC 6-0 Denbigh Town FC

Denbigh’s unbeaten run of four games came to an abrupt halt when they crashed to a heavy defeat against a strong, well organised Porthmadog team.

Following the midweek win over Prestatyn, Mark Roberts, Miles Todd, Lewis Sirrell were all unavailable for the trip to Y Traeth and so joint managers Matty Jones and Dewi Llion Jones had to change the team’s structure. Sion Jones came in with Harri Lovett into defence and Rhys Llwyd into midfield.

The game started well for Denbigh in that they had a lot of the possession in the early stages although could not make that telling pass to put any pressure on the Porthmadog goal. The home side soon settled into their own rhythm and were unlucky not to go one up after 8 minutes when Shaun Cavanagh volleyed just over the bar after Town keeper Craig Vernon punched a dangerous cross away from his goal.

Porthmadog v Denbigh Town 29 Sept 2018
14 photos

With pressure continuing on Denbigh’s goal in the 15th minute Porthmadog went one up. Town failed to deal with a cross from Porthmadog’s right wing and Rob Evans was on the rear post to fire in past Vernon.

Despite this early setback Denbigh continued to battle well with Scott McHarrie making some great tackles in midfield. Sam Downey was having good spells with the ball and looking to spread it wide to Sam Jones and Rhys Llwyd. Curtis Langton made a great run from the back and passed to Jake Walker who turned and shot but his effort went just over the bar.

With half time approaching Town would have been content going in just 1-0 down, but then on 44 minutes a defensive misunderstanding saw Shaun Cavanagh pinch the ball to break free of Denbigh’s defence. He was able to square it away from the advancing Craig Vernon for Dale Davies to fire into an empty net to give Porthmadog a 2-0 lead.

Denbigh’s best chance of the half came a minute later as Sam Jones crossed and Paul Pritchard in the Porthmadog goal made a great stop (see photo) and palmed the ball out to Rhys Llwyd whose shot from 8 yards was blocked and bounced away for a corner.

Immediately into the second half Denbigh were on the back foot as Porthmdog were awarded two free kicks from identical positions within a minute of each other. Neither kick came to anything as first Curtis Langton cleared and then Tony Davies blocked a shot, but Porthmadog’s intent was there to be seen.

Denbigh still had their chances and Sam Jones had a great low shot across goal from the left wing deflected away for a corner. A minute later Curtis Langton found Sam Jones and his cross fell to Rhys Llwyd but once again a defender blocked Llwyd’s shot. Jones and Llwyd combined again and this time Llwyd’s shot went just over the bar.

Pat Hinchcliffe came on for his debut on 60 minutes replacing Rhys Llwyd. Hinchcliffe had signed for the town over a month ago after playing in New Zealand, but the Club had been awaiting International Clearance before he could play in a game and this had come through 24 hours earlier. He was straight into the action and made a strong run across the Portmadog penalty box but the defenders shielded him away from goal and he could not get in his shot and the defence was eventually able to clear

Despite this more positive spell for the Town, it took a simple move for Porthmadog to get their third. The impressive Iwan Lewis played the ball to the right wing where Sion Edwards crossed into the penalty box to find the head of an unmarked Dale Davies who nodded in his second of the afternoon.

Even though the Town were three down they kept persevering with Jake Walker running tirelessly up front on his own. Both Town’s central defenders Tony Davies and Curtis Langton took knocks and had to leave the field for short periods as did midfielder Sam Downey. This seemed to unsettle the visitors and the last ten minutes saw them shed three more goals

Firstly a clever ball over the heads of the back four saw Shaun Cavanagh run onto the ball and round Vernon for the fourth and then a minute later Rob Evans made it five. Denbigh’s misery was compounded in the 89th minute when Ryan Taylor got the sixth.

A disappointing result but Porthmadog must be complimented on the way the adapted themselves and played to their strengths.

Joint manager Dewi Llion Jones said afterwards “Obviously this was a poor result to take. The lads all put in the effort today, but we just were’nt able to put away the chances we created and then lapses led to us conceding goals at vital times of the game. We will regroup in training this week ready for our League Cup Tie next week at home to Airbus Broughton FC”

Paul Pritchard, Dan Dascalu, Ryan Taylor, Shaun Cavanagh, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Iddon Price, Dale Davies, Sion Edwards, Rob Evans. Subs – Dewi Thomas, Dan Roberts, Sion Parry, Tomos Emlyn, Jack Davies

Denbigh Town
Craig Vernon, Sion Jones, Curtis Langton, Tony Davies (Capt), Harri Lovett, Scott McHarrie, Sam Jones, Sam Downey, Jake Walker, Tom Jones, Rhys Llwyd Subs – Pat Hinchcliffe, Pete Lloyd

Referee – Arthur Smallman
Assistant – P S Ellis
Assistant -Nathan Wheatley
Attendance - 203

Videos and photos

Porthmadog v Denbigh Town 29 Sept 2018
14 photos

Team selection

Vernon, Craig Vernon, Craig
Jones, Sion Jones, Sion
Davies, Tony Davies, Tony
McHarrie, Scott McHarrie, Scott
Langton, Curtis Langton, Curtis
Lovett, Harri Lovett, Harri
Jones, Tom Jones, Tom
Downey, Sam Downey, Sam
Walker, Jake Walker, Jake
Jones, Sam Jones, Sam
Llwyd, Rhys Llwyd, Rhys

League round up

Other Huws Gray Alliance results

Prestatyn Town

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Gresford Athletic 30 39
11. Conwy Borough 30 36
12. Llanrhaeadr YM 30 32
13. Penrhyncoch 30 30
14. Holywell Town 30 30
15. Denbigh Town 30 29
16. Holyhead Hotspur 30 19

Team sponsors


Club sponsor