Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Dulwich Hamlet Football Club app


Dulwich Hamlet 0-1 Oxford City

By Liam Hickey

Dulwich fell to defeat after player over an hour with ten men following Quade Taylor's sending off.

For The Hamlet line-up visit here

This was an evenly contested match that was decided by a single goal just after half time, with Dulwich unable to force an equaliser despite enough chances to grab a point.

It was the visitors who threatened first as a flowing move saw Bawling break into the penalty area but Ibrahim Kargbo worked hard to get back and thwart the danger. Dulwich then pressed for an equaliser but, despite the creativity of Dominic Vose, both Dipo Akinyemi and Nathan Green were unable to make the most of opportunities.

Ashley Carew was brought down some 25 yards from goal, but his free kick was held by King in the visitors goal.

It was Oxford who threatened again when sloppy play in midfield left them with a breakaway but Preston Edwards was out quickly to prevent Bawling from giving the visitors the lead.

With 25 minutes played, Dulwich were reduced to ten men when Quade Taylor's poorly executed tackle by the touchline saw him rightly shown a red card for a dangerous challenge. Almost immediately Iffy Allen's creativity was swapped for the defensive strengthening offered by Cheick Toure, as the team was reorganised to account for being a player short.

A quick free kick from Dominic Vose led to Ashley Carew firing too high, whilst a smart save from Preston Edwards denied Fasanmade, and his strong punch from a header at a corner meant Dulwich reached half time on level terms.

Half Time 0-0

The Hamlet opened the second half with a speculative effort from Dipo Akinyemi that flew just wide, but they were to fall behind in the 51st minute. The midfield failed to track their runners or shut down space, and a through ball was threaded in behind the defence for Jack Self to easily beat the advancing Preston Edwards.

As Dulwich struggled to cope with their numerical disadvantage, it took a brilliant 56th minute save from Preston Edwards to prevent them falling two goals behind. In an almost carbon copy of their goal, the visitors were given far too much space and time to pick their passes and this time Fasanmade was played in behind the defence. However, alone and six yards out, Preston Edwards somehow got down to push out his effort.

That was actually the last time that the Hamlet keeper was called upon as it was Dulwich that dominated the chances for the rest of the game. In the 63rd minute, Nyren Clunis was sent clear by a Dominic Vose through pass, but he hesitated and was crowded out.

The next chance arrived in the 63rd minute as King completely missed an Ashley Carew corner and, when Jay May headed the ball back across goal, Cheick Toure couldn't keep his header down. Just two minutes later, Sanchez Ming put in a great cross from the left, but Jay May's volley was deflected wide of the goal, although a goal kick was awarded.

With twenty minutes remaining, a quick break out saw the visitors outnumber the home defence but Sanchez Ming raced across from his right sided position to intercept and the chance passed.

With nine minutes remaining Dulwich should have leveled the scores. A Preston Edwards kiuck was flicked on by Jay May, Anthony Cook latched on to it and saw his effort saved by King. However, he was unable to hold the effort and Nyren Clunis seized on the rebound but fired low at the advancing keeper, when just a little elevation on the shot would have lifted it over King's despairing dive.

In a rare Oxford attack, Self fired harmlessly wide with five minutes remaining and almost immediately Anthony Cook should have done better for The Hamlet. He had time and space but fired low to King's left from the edge of the penalty area but much too close to the keeper.

With Dulwich continuing to press, the last chance arrived in the first minute of time added on, but Dominic Vose's effort was deflected wide and Oxford held on to take all the points.

Final Score 0-1

Updated 08:15 - 18 Nov 2018 by Liam Hickey

Where next?

Greenwich Borough Tonight We have received no information as yet regarding any pitch inspection.
Never fear beer is near! Unfortunately at this Saturday’s game (17th November) against Oxford City, we have no access to the pitch side function room bar at Imperial Fields.

The FA Respect: We Only Do Positive

Sat 23 Feb
First XI Torquay United
League 15:00
Sat 2 Mar
First XI Dartford
League 15:00


Club sponsors