News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar


Liam Hickey1 Apr 2013 - 17:30
Share via

Dulwich stayed neck and neck with Maidstone Utd at the top of the table as they overcame a half time deficit with two Kevin James goals.

A difficult game for Dulwich who were far from their best but ground out a hard fought win over a stubborn Chipstead side who would perhaps feel they were unfortunate not to take something from the game.

The Hamlet were without the injured Connor French but were able to welcome new signing Dean Lodge from Kingstonian who started on the bench and did much to change the momentum of the game when he entered the field.

The game started much like the home game against Whitstable with Dulwich playing with the wind and finding it difficult to create any forward momentum.

It was Dulwich who had the first chance when Xavier Vidal played an exquisite pass to the wing where Ellis Green picked it up and headed for the box where he slipped a pass to Danny Carr who rolled his shot a fraction wide of the far post.

It was Chipstead who went closer still on 27 minutes when Jason Goodchild's shot from outside the box beat Chico Ramos but crashed off the post. However, with the goal gaping Liam Wright took an age to hit his follow up on goal and Chico Ramos was able to get back and save his shot on the line.

However, the next chance was to see Chipstead take the lead as a corner was cleared to the edge of the box where Joe Nwoko met it with a spectacular volley which rocketed into the top corner.

Things got worse as Danny Carr limped out of the game when he pulled up after mishitting a shot on goal and was replaced by Dean Lodge.

Half Time - Dulwich Hamlet 0-1 Chipstead

The second half opened with Dulwich pushing forward into the wind and it took only 6 minutes to level the scores as a scramble in the box saw the ball fall to Kevin James who slammed it home.

On 55 minutes The Hamlet had the chance to take the lead after Dean Lodge was brought down on the edge of the box but Peter Adeniyi placed his penalty wide of the post.

What would turn out to be the winning goal arrived on 63 minutes as Xavier Vidal knocked a long ball over the top that got caught on the wind and caused confusion in the Chipstead defence. As the keeper advanced from the box, the centre back failed to control the ball and it fell for Kevin James to roll the ball into the empty net from some 25 yards out.

Chipstead pushed hard for an equaliser and looked dangerous particularly from the long throws from Chris Ellis which often left Dulwich struggling to get the ball away. However, they were unable to create any clear cut chances and Dulwich were able to close out another victory.

Further reading