Dulwich Hamlet 2-1 St Albans City

Dulwich Hamlet 2-1 St Albans City

By Liam Hickey
10 August 2019
Share via

Nyren Clunis came off the bench to mark his 450th appearance with a goal and crucial part in the winner.

For the team visit here.

Nyren Clunis came off the bench to make his 450th appearance for The Hamlet and change the game in Dulwich's favour, scoring one goal and being directly involved in the winner.

Dulwich opened the game brightly and had the first chance in the 5th minute but Dipo Akinyemi saw his effort blocked, after Jack Connors had found him with a threaded pass. However, a minute later Kieran Monlouis gave the ball away in midfield and was rescued by a fantastic challenge by Yannis Ambroisine.

Dulwich threatened next but, after intercepting a pass, Dominic Vose slipped the ball across the six yard box, but it just evaded both Dipo Akinyemi and Danny Mills.

However, it was the visitors who were in the ascendancy, but without really testing Ashley Maynard-Brewer in the Dulwich goal as the defence got crucial blocks in when the visitors looked dangerous. Nwabuokei saw his effort blocked for a corner and Bawling fired high when well placed.

Dulwich had their attacking moments but without troubling Snedker in the St Albans goal as the visitors defence was equally adept at blocking an dangerous efforts.

As Dulwich began to increase the pressure, they found themselves down to ten players with five minutes to the break. Dominic Vose got himself needlessly involved in a disagreement with Longe-King. Vose was sent off for raising his hands and striking the St Albans player, although he certainly embellished the contact.

Half Time 0-0

Half Time brought about a reshuffle and Dipo Akinyemi made way for Nyren Clunis to make his 450th Hamlet appearance, but it was Maynard-Brewer who was to be the Dulwich hero.

He made an incredible save from a header that looked certain to loop over him just three minutes after the break.. He was called into action again just four minutes later when a slip by Yannis Ambroisine let in Joe Iaciofano, but the forward saw his low effort saved by the legs of the Dulwich keeper.

Dulwich went close in the 63rd minute when a Jeffrey Monakana cross was met by a flying effort from Clunis that was blocked, but Maynard-Brewer then made another fine save from Foxley to keep The Hamlet level.

Those saves laid the platform for Dulwich to take a 66th minute lead. Jack Connors hurled a long throw into the box, Danny Mills headed back at the far post and Clunis smashed the ball home.

However, the lead was only to last four minute before St Albans scored one of the best team goals seen at Champion Hill. A sweeping passing move from the visitors opened up the Dulwich defence and left Joe Iaciofano to calmly lift the ball over Maynard-Brewer.

Both sides looked for the winner as Dulwich's ten men still pushed for another goal. Duwlich thought they had it 5 minutes from time as Danny Mills was left free at the far post, but Kaloczi dived in to block his goal bound effort.

However, The Hamlet would grab a winner in the 87th minute. First an effort seemed to be blocked by a defender's hand, but the referee only pointed for a corner. With everybody expecting the ball to be played into the penalty area, it was instead played back to Nyren Clunis.

He delivered a cross cum shot from the angle of the penalty area that Sam Merson tried to head clear, but instead it flicked off his head and flew past Snedker.

The visitors pushed forward for the last few minutes but, with Dulwich defending doggedly, there were to be no further chances for either team.

Full Time 2-1

Share via