Dulwich Hamlet 7-1 Barkingside

Dulwich Hamlet 7-1 Barkingside

By Liam Hickey
21 February 2017
Share via

Dulwich warmed up for Saturday's game with a comprehensive victory featuring 4 goals in 13 second half minutes by Dipo Akinyemi.

For Dulwich line up and match details click here

A strong Dulwich side eventually overpowered their Essex Senior League opponents with six second half goals although for all their dominance it took over half an hour before they scored.

In only the second minute a good move on the left saw Panutche Camara fire his effort wide, However, it was Barkingside who had the next effort. Sloppy play from Dulwich presented Harvey Brown with a sight of goal but he fired over.

Dulwich should have taken a 9th minute lead but when Dipo Akinyemi got away on the right his low cross shot was inadvertently stopped by Mohamed Mohamed.

Two minutes later, Kenny Beaney received a pass from Preston Edwards but his poor control presented the ball to David Laird but he fired wide with Edwards stranded.

It was Akinyemi who carried the greatest gosl threat and he saw an effort held by Tyler McCarthy in the visitors goal after good work from Kiki Oshilaja had created the chance.

Ibra Sekajja then failed to convert a chance after good work from Jamie Mascoll, Akinyemi was again thwarted by a save from McCarthy and Camara saw an effort saved via the outside of the post.

Eventually, Dulwich made a breakthrough in the 32nd minute. A corner was headed towards goal and Matt Drage diverted it past McCarthy with his head.

Just 3 minutes later, Ibra Sekajja should have doubled the lead when a free kick from Kenny Beaney defected to him in front of goal but he wastefully headed wide.

In a rare attack from the visitors, Heather fired wide before Akinyemi wasted another chance when he shot rather than cross to players in space in front of goal.

Half Time 1-0

If the first half had merely hinted at the gap in class between the two teams then the second half confirmed it,

Ibra Sekajja had a 50th minute effort disallowed for offside as he swept home a cross from Akinyemi and Panutche Camara headed wide under pressure at the far post.

Just before the hour, Akinyemi outmuscled the opposition defence but his cross from the left was overhit. However, it was retrieved before going out of play and played to Ibra Sekajja some 15 yards out. He wasted no time in beating McCarthy low to his right.

Akinyemi then got his first goal in the 63rd minute. Receiving the ball on the right he ran a room the penalty area and then drove an unstoppable left footed strike that left McCarthy rooted to the spot as it fizzed into the net.

Panutche Camara had an effort blocked before Akinyemi scored again in the 66th minute. The ball was clipped over the top of the Barkingside defence by Kenny Beaney and Akinyemi finished confidently.

Akinyemi then completed his hat trick by adding Dulwich's fifth goal in the 72nd minute. A clearance from Preston Edwards picked out the run of Jamie Mascoll whose low cross was swept home by Akinyemi.

However, not content with his goal return, Akinyemi added a fourth goal, and Dulwich's sixth,the 76th minute. Mohamed Mohamed played the ball to him on the right, he accelerated past his marker and the clipped the ball over the advancing keeper.

McCarthy produced a terrific save to prevent Akinyemi yeti s owing his fifth before, with four minutes uses remaining, Barkingside got a goal that their endeavours deserved. A cross from their right being met with a towering header from Luke Withe.

However, it was Dulwich who completed the scoring in the 88th minute. Substitute Lekan Osideko found Jacob Erskine, who had played the majority of the game in an unfamiliar familiar central defensive position, and he slipped the ball up derived McCarthy.

Final Score 7-1

Share via