Lewes 3-1 Dulwich Hamlet

Lewes 3-1 Dulwich Hamlet

By Liam Hickey
10th February 2016
Share via

If Saturday represented the low point of the season so far then this was its equal.

Dulwich suffered another defeat against a relegation threatened side as their promotion push looks to have faltered. This continued a trend of defeats against sides in the lower half of the table that betrays their own ambitions.

Gavin Rose gave the majority of the side the chance to redeem themselves following the shock of defeat at VCD but the outcome was the same.

Jordan Brown was restored to left back, Jack Dixon was preferred to Astley Carew, Jacob Erskine to Ryan Moss & Albert Jarrett to Dean McDonald.

Dulwich opened brightly but, like so often, there was little created in terms of clear chances. Damien Scannell fired wide after a free kick had caused some confusion in the home defence and Mitchell Nelson headed just wide.

The first sign of the fragility of the Dulwich defence came in the 19th minute but Matt Drake blocked and Phil Wilson gathered the loose ball. Three minutes later, Dulwich had a chance when Winterton dropped a free kick from Jarrett under pressure from Nelson. However, he pounced to retrieve his error before any reaction from Dulwich players.

A Jordan Brown cross was hacked behind for a corner and a fluent move involving Brown & Erskine saw Jack Dixon have an effort pushed wide by Winterton. Mitchell Nelson then had a header from the resultant corner grabbed on the line by Winterton.

Damien Scannell made a good break on the left but his cross was unable to pick out Clunis in the area before Dulwich conceded the opening goal in the 30th minute.

A free kick from the Dulwich right was not cleared and the ball was returned into the box for the unmarked Jonté Smith to score. Three minutes later, a free kick from the same position saw Wilson produce a great save low to his left to prevent a second goal.

As the game entered added time at the end of the first half Dulwich conceded a calamitous second goal. Another innocuous long ball forward was controlled by Jordan Brown but, rather than clear the ball forwards, he inexplicably decided to pass back to Wilson. His pass was woefully underhit and Alex Laing pounced to round Wilson and score.

Half Time 2-0

For the start of the second half Osei Sankofa was replaced by Ryan Moss as The Hamlet looked to find a way back into the game. However, Dulwich remained ponderous in possession and their attacks were easily repelled.

In fact, Lewes almost grabbed a third goal in the 56th minute when a low cross from the Dulwich left passed across the six-yard box.

The Hamlet created their first chance of the half two minutes later. Damien Scannell delivered a cross from the right that reached the unmarked Jarrett at the far post. However, with both Moss & Erskine free in the six-yard box, he fired wastefully over the bar.

Dulwich then grabbed a lifeline in the 62nd minute. The ball was played into Jacob Erskine who switched it wide to Nyren Clunis. His cross was thumped home by Danny Waldron.

Dulwich now had a new sense of purpose to their play and Nyren Clunis had an effort blocked. However, the changes to personnel and formation did leave them exposed to counter attacks and it was only good defending from Jordan Brown that thwarted a break where he was faced with two attackers.

However, any hopes of a comeback were extinguished in the 68th minute. The ball broke to James Hammond some 25 yards out and he curled a delightful effort over Wilson.

Dulwich made more changes and poured forward but, in truth, they created nothing of note and Lewes looked as if they might add to their lead on the break.

Final Score 3-1

Share via