Sat 05
First XI
Eastbourne Borough
Hamlet Through To Final Qualifying Round

Hamlet Through To Final Qualifying Round

By Liam Hickey
Share via

A first half goal from Richard Orlu and two penalties from Ade Yusuff too Dulwich through to the final qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup.

For details of the match and the Dulwich team click hereDulwich are through to the 4th Qualifying Round of the FA Cup for the first time since season 2000-01 following their win over Eastbourne Borough.

Although the score looks comfortable the match was in the balance for a long time, with the visitors left to reflect on a header that bounced off the bar and two shots that were cleared off the line. Dulwich were forced to defend for long periods, but the threats to their goal were few and far between as Charlie Grainger was not called into serious action.

The first chance came in the 4th minute when West fired over the bar for the visitors after a long throw reached him on the edge of the penalty area. However, Dulwich took the lead with their first attack in the 8th minute after Jack Connors was brought down. He floated the resulting free kick into the penalty area where Richard Orlu scuffed the ball home from no more than a yard out after Yusuff and Ijaha.

Christian Smith gave away a free kick on the edge of the box but West had his effort blocked before Dulwich created another chance in the 19th minute. Christian Smith then played a ball forward to Ade Yusuff who chested it into the path of Nyren Clunis but his effort was too high. Good defending from Christian Smith conceded a corner from which Gayle fired wide.

A long throw from Marvin McCoy found Jack Connors but his shot was well held by Hadler low to his left. whilst Nyren Clunis should have given Dulwich a two goal lead on the half hour. Ade Yusuff bullied his way past Adebowale and crossed low into the six yard box where Clunis lifted the ball over the bar when it seemed easier to score.

Elliott Romain came close to an equaliser in the 33rd minute when he picked up the ball inside his own half and drove at the Dulwich defence before shooting inches wide of the post, but the final chance of the half feel to Nyren Clunis after a run from Ade Yusuff, but he shot across Hadler but wide of the far post.

Half Time 1-0

Eastbourne came out fired up after the break and put The Hamlet defence under pressure, although it was ten minutes before they went close. However, with Charlie Grainger beaten, Jack Connors cleared the effort off the line. As they continued to press, an equaliser was a distinct possibility but the Dulwich defence held firm and Charlie Grainger was not called into serious action.

In fact, it was Dulwich who grabbed the second goal soon after making their first changes from the bench. Eastbourne repelled a long throw but the ball fell on the edge of the penalty area where Ben Chapman nipped in and was sent flying by a challenge. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Ade Yusuff stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way.

Eastbourne continued to press forward and Ferry shot over, whilst Danny Mills almost put the game beyond doubt when his header from a Jack Connors cross was just too high. The visitors then hit the top of the bar with a header and the follow up was hacked off the line by Quade Taylor as Dulwich rode their luck.

As the match entered stoppage time, Dulwich were awarded a second penalty when Connor Hunte was tripped as he checked inside to shoot and Yusuff stepped up to repeat the first penalty and put the result beyond doubt.

Final Score 3-0

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 05, Oct 2019