Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Dulwich Hamlet Football Club app


First XI - Match centre

St Albans City
Dulwich Hamlet
Sat 9 Mar 15:00 - The Vanarama National League - Vanarama National League South Full time Attendance 1,088

Hamlet relegation worries continue


Dulwich slipped to defeat after conceding an 18th minute penalty converted by Sam Merson

For the team line-ups click here

An 18th minute penalty from Sam Merson saw Dulwich slip to another defeat, despite enjoying plenty of possession, in a game of very little quality.

Dulwich started very slowly and could have been behind in the 9th minute when Merson's cross was inadvertently turned towards his own goal by Michael Chambers, but Preston Edwards got across to save.

A corner from Banton in the 15th minute was met by an unmarked Bender but his header was kept out by the frame of the goal, before more lazy defending resulted in a penalty. Defenders failed to track runners and a clumsy challenge on Banton saw him hit the deck. The penalty was converted by Merson with a scuffed finish down the middle of the goal.

This seemed to finally wake up The Hamlet and they began to push forward and dominate the game. Nathan Green fired just wide in the 21st minute and a Jamie Mascoll cross was put over his own bar by a covering defender.

Dulwich were unlucky not to bring the scores level in the 35th minute as Nathan Green cut in from the left and his low shot came back off the far post. George Essuman should have equalised in the 39th minute from a Jamie Mascoll corner, but he headed too high with a free header from 6 yards out.

A minute later Dipo Akinyemi wasted another good opportunity, coming in on the left, he failed to get a shot away or commit the last defender as he burst into the area, instead trying to find Luke Wanadio. However, his pass was cleared by a covering defender.

Half Time 1-0

The second half was a period where little happened of any note until very late on. Dulwich enjoyed plenty of possession but showed no real urgency to play forward, instead indulging in keeping the ball but passing inaccurately when it mattered. As a result, the home side, who seemed content to hold what they had, were happy to defend deep and seek to counter attack. This meant there was little to excite the crowd.

Dipo Akinyemi should have been able to time his run on to a Wanadio through pass, but instead went too early and a chance to level ten minutes into the half was gone, whilst Ewington fired over from a good position for the home side just past the hour.

For Dulwich, Dominic Vose was inches wide with a 67th minute shot after a prolonged period of possession, whilsty Banton wasted a simple chance to wrap up victory for the home side with a weak header from point blank range, after Merson had headed the ball into his path with 5 minutes left.

With the match meandering to an inevitable single goal victory for the home side, the sight of the board showing a barely believable three minutes added time, in a half of 5 substitutions, 2 bookings and so much time wasting, seemed to finally wake the Hamlet up.

Decarrey Sheriff turned smartly in the box but his shot was into the side netting rather than the goal, whilst the match ended on a note of controversy. Nyren Clunis saw an effort blocked and the ball broke to the side of the penalty area where it was picked up by Anthony Cook. He was sent crashing to the ground inside the penalty area but the referee, without consulting his assistant who seemed better placed, deemed that the challenge was outside the area.

After a long delay, the free kick was scrambled clear for a corner and that heralded the full time whistle .

Final Score 1-0

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up


Club sponsors