Sat 07
Braintree Town
First XI
Sloppy Hamlet Slip To Deeat

Sloppy Hamlet Slip To Deeat

By Liam Hickey
Share via

The Hamlet surrendered all the points to Braintree Town in a game that they should have won at a canter, despite bizarre officiating.

For the Dulwich line-up visit here.

The Hamlet came away from a game where for long periods they were the dominant side, as more changes to the starting line-up saw new signing Marvin McCoy replace the injured Richard Orlu, Quade Taylor replace Yannis Ambroisine, Connor Hunte make his first start of the season and Kieran Monlouis restored to the starting side.

After the first couple of minutes Braintree were rarely seen as an attacking force in the first half. The Hamlet played with a high tempo, moving the ball, supporting each other and quickly regaining possession at every opportunity. . Despite However, despite this total dominance, the old faults of regarding possession as dominance surfaced and all the possession was not turned into shots on goal.

Connor Hunte was prominent on his first start of the season as he cut in from the right in only the fifth minute, but saw his weak effort easily saved by Johnson in the home goal. Reise Allassani saw a shot deflected for a corner and from this Marvin McCoy was clearly brought down in the penalty area, receiving lengthy treatment for his injury. However, the referee had actually blown for a free kick to the home side given for simulation and booked McCoy. Unfortunately, this was just the first of many utterly puzzling decisions against both sides.

Braintree's first attempt at goal came following good work down the left, Richardson holding up the ball, heading it inside where Cole took over, as he ran across the pitch he managed to get a shot off which was deflected wide for a corner.

Kieran Monlouis cut in from the left but his effort was too high before Dulwich took a 19th minute lead. Connor Hunte was brought down 30 yards out and Jack Connors floated the resulting free kick to Danny Mills who cheated down and fired home to give Dulwich a deserved lead.

Braintree looked nothing like the form team of the two as they were completely outplayed for the rest of the half. However, there seemed no urgency to add a second goal that would surely have ensured an away win and the rest of the half drifted by with Dulwich enjoying all the possession but doing nothing effective with it.

Half Time 0-1

It must have been obvious to everybody other than the Dulwich players that the Braintree half time team talk would have invoked a reaction from the home team and, unsurprisingly, they emerged for the second half fired up. In complete contrasts, Dulwich appeared for the second half like a whole new team that had never met each other.

As a result, it took all of two minutes for the first half to be a long forgotten memory. Within 30 seconds of the restart Richardson headed the ball through to Akinwande, who scored but was ruled offside. Another minute later and the scores were level. Cole was allowed to move forward unchallenged and he struck an effort high to the left of Maynard-Brewer that gave the Dulwich keeper no chance.

The momentum was all with the home side and the only surprise was that The Hamlet didn't concede a second goal. A free kick into the box saw another chance created and Maynard-Brewer then had to make a fine save from a low effort and then fly through the air to punch out a dangerous free kick. Richardson failed to sort out his feet in front of goal as Dulwich somehow survived without falling behind.

The hour mark arrived and Dulwich finally showed some signs of getting back to grip with the match. Connor Hunte found Reise Allassani on the left and his low cross into the six yard box was scrambled wide by Clark who could easily have put through his own goal. This signaled the start of a period in which Dulwich have gone back in front as a Connor Hunte effort flashed inches wide, and Lewis White and Dom Vose managed not to score when it seemed easier to find the net.

Reise Allassani shot straight at Johnson in the home goal when he should have scored and was then denied an obvious penalty as he cut in on goal from the left touchline and had his legs whipped away as he looked to shoot. To make matters worse, the winner came from the next attack.

The home side's attack was repelled by a brave challenge from Quade Taylor that resulted in him lying injured, as he blocked a shot by Coker but the ball broke to Akinwande and his cross picked out Cerulli completely unmarked in the middle for a simple header

Dulwich came back and a Connor HUnte cross evaded everybody in the middle before Reise Allassani wasted the sort of chance he usually takes easily, bursting clear but then shooting straight at Johnson when he should have scored.

Lewis White was causing havoc down the left hand side, but with Danny Mills substituted there was nobody in the middle to get on the end of balls being delivered.In fact, it was the home side who could have wrapped up the points when Cole caught Taylor in possession and got clear with a one on one with Maynard-Brewer but side footed straight at him and Cerulli was blocked with a follow up effort.

In the last seconds a corner should have resulted in an equaliser as a deep cross was headed back across goal by Dominic Vose but was missed by all incoming players of both sides when the merest touch would have taken it over the line, whilst also missing the far post by millimetres.

That means only one win and five points from seven games, something that is not acceptable for a team that is expected to challenge nearer the top of the league.

Final Score 2-1

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 07, Sep 2019






MANarama National League South

League position

Braintree Town
Dulwich Hamlet