Sat 18
Easton First Team
Wells Town
G Crowe (60'), (75'), (85')
Easton 4 Wells Town 0

Easton 4 Wells Town 0

By Chris Brownbridge
Share via

First Team make it a late show to down Seasiders

After last weeks victory away East Harling we were back at the The College for the visit of newly promoted Wells Town. The visitors had been leading Division 2 comfortably before lockdown hit and had also added the Junior Cup before coming up via average points.

There were 2 changes to our squad with both Will and Matty H returning in place of Ben and Chris from last weeks 14 with Will stepping back into central midfield and Hoops taking a place on the bench. There were also plenty of familiar faces in the Wells squad from our clashes with Fakenham Res back in Division 2 so a tough game was expected.

Wells got the game underway and the first chance of the game fell almost immediately to us as neat play between Amis and Martyn on the edge of the box say the latter get away from his man but his effort from 12 yards struck the post and was cleared by a Wells shirt. This proved to be a bit of a false dawn though as Wells grew into the game with the lively Taylor roaming free on the left at regular intervals.

The only thing missing though for Wells was a finish as they twice headed over from 8 yards from corners before Smith broke away but lobbed his effort high, wide and not so handsome. Hemmo then made the first of a string of saves as he parried over a goal bound effort from Harrison before saving well with his feet just moments later.

As the half wore on we started to get a foothold back in the game as George flicked the ball on to Brannan but his lofted effort crept the wrong side of the post before a ball in from the left evaded everyone including an agonising lunge from Amis just a few yards from goal.

HT 0-0

After getting in at HT even it was about getting back out and upping the tempo but it was again Wells who troubled us first. Hemmo first saved well from Smith before then denying Taylor with a diving save on his way to a man of the match performance. With 10 mins of the second period gone though we were starting to control the game.

First we forced a succession of corners that Wells did well to clear before driving runs from Brannan and Will saw efforts fired straight at Bates in the Wells net. The Wells back line was starting to creak under the pressure and with 30 minutes remaining the deadlock was broken. Another surging run into the Wells box from Will saw the ball break loose and fall to George who made no mistake from 8 yards and found the bottom corner to huge relief of those watching.

Wells tried to hit back quickly but again Hemmo was on hand to sweep up any issues and the Easton back line were now fully in control of the Wells attack. Some neat play through midfield then saw George fed in down the right and after cutting in he saw his driven cross fired home by a Wells defender for 2-0.

Chances were now starting to come thick and fast as the visitors opened up and this time a dead ball got us another goal. Amis delivery from a free kick on the right was dead on the money and George cushioned his header into the far corner to end the game as a contest on 75 minutes. There was still time for another goal though as Hayden slid George in on goal with 5 mins to play and he made no mistake burying past the Wells keeper for his hat trick.

FT 4-0
An ugly win that could have been different if not for Hemmo in the Easton goal but good character shown to bury the game when the opportunities came. Onto Watton away next week as we try to build some momentum.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 18, Sep 2021



Meet time