1. Edwardian Football Club acknowledges its responsibility to safeguard
the welfare of all children involved in Edwardian FC from harm.
2. Edwardian FC confirms that it adheres to the Rugby Football Union’s
Safeguarding Policy and the procedures, practices and guidelines and endorse and adopt the Policy Statement contained in that document and any successor policy.
3. A child is anyone under the age of 18 engaged in any rugby union
activity. Where a 17 year old male player is playing in the adult game it is essential that every reasonable precaution is taken to ensure his safety and well-being are protected.
4. The Key Principles of the RFU Safeguarding Policy are that:
• The welfare of the child is, and must always be, paramount to any other considerations.
• All participants regardless of age, gender, ability or disability, race, faith, culture, size, shape, language or sexual identity have the right to protection from abuse or harm.
• All allegations or suspicions of abuse, neglect, harm and poor practice will be taken seriously and responded to swiftly, fairly and appropriately.
• Working in partnership with other organisations, statutory agencies, parents, carers, children and young people is essential for the welfare of children.
• Children have a right to expect support, and personal & social development delivered by an appropriately recruited, vetted and managed person in relation to their participation in rugby union, whether they are playing, volunteering or officiating in the community or professional areas of the sport.
5. Edwardian FC recognises that all children have the right to participate in sport in a safe, positive and enjoyable environment, whilst at the same time being protected from abuse, neglect, harm and poor practice. Edwardian FC recognises that this is the responsibility of everyone involved, in whatever capacity, at the club.
6. Edwardian FC will implement and comply with the RFU Code of
Conduct and the Codes of Conduct for Coaches, Spectators and Officials as appropriate.
7. The Club Safeguarding Officer is Claire Smith Tel: 07793 716 554. If you witness or are aware of an incident where the welfare of a child has been put at risk you must, in the first instance, inform the Club Safeguarding Officer. They will then inform the CB Safeguarding Manager and the RFU Safeguarding Team. If an incident involves the Club Safeguarding Officer you should inform the Junior Chair, Chris Shipway, and either the CB Safeguarding Manager or the RFU Safeguarding Team.
8. All members of Edwardian FC who work with children in Regulated
Activity must undertake an RFU Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check in accordance with RFU Regulation 21.
9. Edwardian FC will ensure that all its members, whether they are
coaches, parents, players or officials will comply with the Best Practice Guidance as issued by the RFU. In summary, the following are NOT acceptable and will be treated seriously by the club and may result in disciplinary action being taken by the club, the CB or the RFU:
• Working alone with a child.
• Consuming alcohol whilst responsible for children.
• Providing alcohol to children or allowing its supply.
• Smoking in the presence of children.
• Humiliating children.
• Inappropriate or unnecessary physical contact with a child.
• Participating in, or allowing, contact or physical games with children.
• Having an intimate or sexual relationship with any child developed as a result of being in a ‘position of trust.’
• Making sexually explicit comments or sharing sexually explicit material.
10. Edwardian FC manages the changing facilities and arranges for them
to be supervised by two DBS checked adults of the appropriate gender for the players using the facilities. Edwardian FC ensures that all its coaches, parents, officials and spectators are aware that adults must not change at the same time, using the same facilities as children.
11. Edwardian FC will ensure that its coaches and team managers will receive the support and training considered appropriate to their position and role.
12. Any events held on Edwardian FC premises must comply with this
Policy and if appropriate a Safeguarding Plan should be discussed and circulated to those affected. Any tours, overseas or domestic, undertaken by Edwardian FC must comply with the relevant RFU Regulations and Guidance relating to tours.
This policy has been adopted in accordance with the club constitution on 6th November 2019.