It doesn't seem that long since the World Cup finished, yet football is back on our TV screens and most of us will already be planning for the new season ahead!
So here's a rehash of the pre-season thoughts shared last year for all of our Managers and Coaches to think about:
- Some players will have been taking part in other sports during the summer break and maintained some fitness. Others will have been full time on X-Box or PlayStation! Keep this in mind when you start training again.
- Don't go straight into shuttle runs and fitness training. Keep it fun and light touch, at least for the first session. This is especially important for U12s and younger. For U13s and above, a little more emphasis on fitness and strength is OK but remember these players will also be going through other body changes so don't overdo it. If it's hot, all age groups should take short breaks and do make sure players bring and take on water.
- If your team have had a break from football, most of the returning players will be excited about playing footy again. Use this to your advantage and build on the enthusiasm by introducing some fun warm ups. Also make sure you do lots of ball work in very small groups so that everyone gets plenty of touches right from the off.
- Do try and play a few friendly games before the season starts. It really helps if you want to try different formations, players in different positions and of course, for match fitness and touch.
- Do undertake a pre season equipment audit and in particular, make sure players are registered and your First Aid kit is up to date.
Finally, best of luck for the new season when it starts. Remember keep it fun, work on individual and team development and enjoy the game. Results can and do take care of themselves. Go Eldwick!