Sat 07
1st XV
S Statham
I Chaston
Narrow victory for Five Ways against Atherstone

Narrow victory for Five Ways against Atherstone

By Jess Banner
Share via

Vital points picked up in 1 point victory for Ways

Five Ways travelled to Atherstone in high spirits after a convincing win in the previous encounter against Stoke Old Boys. However, an easy win was never going to be in the equation against Atherstone.

This was pushed further out the picture when Ways, after applying early pressure, were struck a huge blow when second row and pack leader Craig David was ordered to leave the field after catching a stray boot from his own scrum half, Sam Statham. The injury list was given another casualty after Gaz Morgan went down. Everyone instantly knew that it was a bad one as the man mountain does not go down easy. Unfortunately, the injury was a broken ankle. The club send its best wishes to Gaz for a speedy recover.

After these two injury blows Ways struggled to regain control of the game with Atherstone forcing their way down the field. After a penalty being kicked over Five Ways were down 3-0. The remainder of the 1st half seemed to be played inbetween the two 22’s and consisted of many scrums without either side being able to deal any real damage. Just before the half time whistle, Atherstone kicked another penalty from the huge boot of their centre. This then meant that Five Ways had to be disciplined with anything in their own half.

The second half seemed to be leaning in favour of Ways as they settled into their phase play and the backs started to run good lines. James Mounter in particular picked good lines and always seemed to break the gain line. Five Ways seemed to be camped on the Atherstone line for an eternity but a solid defence from the hosts prevented Ways scoring. This was until a mistake from Nell Davis led to a scrum. The result of the scrum was Scott Adkins charging down the scrum half box kick. A moment of quick thinking from Sam Statham saw him dive on the ball and earn Five Ways five points and take the score to 6-5. This meant Ian Chaston had to step up to the mark and slot the kick for the lead. As his foot struck the ball it was a done deal and Ways went up 6-7. This is how it would remain for the rest of the game.

The final quarter of the game was a very close encounter. This was made worse for Five Ways as front row Jay Wilkes was awarded a yellow card for a high tackle. The pressure was finally relieved when Nell Davis gained a turn over which allowed Ways to take another kick at the posts. Unfortunately, this was missed but it did mean that the ball was nowhere near the Ways line for the final few minutes.

On reflection the game was tightly fought contest and a game where the pack deserved their beer. The backs had no other option but to watch and enjoy the little clean ball they received. A solid performance to be built on heading into the final few games of the season.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 07, Feb 2015



Meet time



Midlands 4 West (South)