Club History 1 of 5

1. Rise to the Senior League

Freeland Football Club were founded in 1908 and have entertained the faithful at The Simon Hole Memorial Ground for over one hundred years since.

Over the past ten or so years Freeland have gone from one side playing in Division 5 of the Witney & District to four sides plying their trades in both the Senior League and Witney & District.

Darren Paton led the Firsts to three successive promotions in his tenure in charge, this paved the way for Freeland Reserves to reform under the stewardship of Andy Mott. With the Firsts now settling into life in Division 1 the Reserves were hit with the shock departure of Andy Mott, this led to Brian Heaney taking charge.

Brian led the Reserves on an unbeaten run that saw them climb the league table and fall just short in the Supplementary Cup final. Brian must have caught the eye as he took charge of the Firsts the following season, leading them to fourth place in the second tier, this was good enough to see the First team promoted, and as they embarked on their debut season in the Premier Division Steve O'Hara took the reigns. Club legend Jon Langford was now in charge of the Reserves.

Freeland Firsts battled against the drop in their first season, a dramatic Matty Wood free kick keeping them in the big time on the last game of the season. Freeland Reserves were comfortable in their league, but in what seemed to become a season tradition they led the league at Christmas only to slip away in the second half of the season.

Freeland Firsts had now established themselves in the top flight, and O'Hara's men showed they could mix it with the big boys by finishing fourth. It was now time for John Leader and Lee Hyatt to take over proceedings, with Jon Langford grooming Robert Panting into the modern man/manager he is today.

The 2005/06 season was a storming success, the Firsts roared to their first ever Premier title, with both Stuart Hole and Tom Mason firing forty plus goals each. The Firsts almost captured the Charity Cup also, but lost out in a dramatic final against rivals Eynsham. The Reserves also improved, finishing fourth in Division 3 and reaching two cup semi-finals of their own.

The following season saw Freeland retain their Premier Division crown with the Reserves, now under sole control of Panting, consolidating their position in Division 2 after being promoted the previous year. John Leader and Lee Hyatt moved on to pastures new which led to Matty Longford taking over the First Team duties.

The Firsts lost out in the Junior Shield and Fred Ford Cup finals before finally being pipped to the title by Brize Norton. Freeland had now added a third team to their ranks, Freeland A. Led by Matthew Hardy and Paul Mills they battled to a lower mid-table finish.

Amongst controversy the following summer it was decided that Freeland would enter their First and Reserve teams into the Oxfordshire Senior League. The Firsts started in Division 2 and sealed promotion with an emphatic win over fellow promotion chasers Mansfield Road. The Reserves won silverware at the first time of asking, romping to the Division 3 title.

Freeland A looked like making it three promotions out of three but slipped out of the title race in the closing few weeks of the season. They need not have worried though as Freeland added a fourth team to their growing collection and the A's were shifted up to Division 3 to make way for the newly formed Freeland B.

If that wasn't enough Freeland threw a Sunday side into the mix for good measure. The Firsts gained a successive promotion to earn them the right to play in the Premier Division in the 2010/11 season. The Reserves finished fourth in a competitive Division 2, and the A's battled to safety in their first season in Division 3.

Under Adi Buckingham the B Team gave Freeland a tantalising taste of the talent coming through the ranks, and the young side finished mid-table in a highly encouraging first season.

Freeland Yeoman also showed glimpses of class in their first year in the Upper Thames Valley League, but a bottom half finish was all they got for their efforts.

With the First team now in the Senior League Premier Division it has been a dramatic rise for the football club, and with the emergence of the B Team and a successful youth set up, the future looks bright, in fact, it looks red and white!!