Sat 18
Freeland Firsts
J Lonsdale (40'), T Parker (58'), D Taylor (70'), (90'), (97')
Charity Cup Quarter Final

Charity Cup Quarter Final

By Ben Symonds
Share via

Known in the trade as a Rollercoaster !!!

Freeland entertained Headington Amateurs at home in the quarter final of the charity cup.
The Reds were very eager to progress in this competition after being defeated in the final the previous year.
It was nice to see the loyal band of supporters in attendance for this game and I’m sure they were not overly impressed when the visitors took the lead after a shot from distance on 2 mins.
Not the best way to get started I’m sure you will agree. Both sides were playing well, and it was an enjoyable game to watch, well that was in till the visitors doubled there lead after a deflected freekick left Adam Lonsdale totally stranded.
Things were not going well for Freeland and the frustration was starting to creep in with Jason Lonsdale committing GBH in a so-called tackle and was very lucky to only receive a yellow card.
The ref had obviously forgotten his orange one on the day. Then the home side and Danny Taylor feel that they should have pulled a goal back. Danny doing very well to spin a defender on the halfway line beat to players only to flash a fierce left foot drive inches over the top.
Then after a sustained period of pressure the away side scored from a corner. Terrible defending from the reds and they were staring down the barrel at this point.
The management decided to change the formation back to 4-4-2 to just try and stem the tide.
This they did and in the final few minutes of the first half Freeland did find themselves a consolation through an excellent header at the front post by Jason Lonsdale.
So, the halftime score was Freeland 1 Horspath 3.
Longford and McNamara had their work cut out and Darren just reminded the boys that we had been in this position before believing in yourselves and start the second half on the front foot.
This they did and just before the hour mark the game to life when Tom Parker hit a wonderful free kick from fully 25 yards into the top corner giving the keeper absolutely no chance.
The Reds could now feel that they had the momentum in the game and surely the equaliser was not long in coming.
The had to wait another 12 mins to find it. A superbly weighted pass from Eddie Parker found Danny Taylor 15 yards out to finish emphatically with his right foot.
Three all and Freeland were attacking in waves. Could the Reds win this in normal time or would they have to wait till the dreaded Extra time. The reds did score on the stroke of full time Danny Taylor again grabbing the Headlines the ball and about seven of his team mates at the bottom of the bundle that insured after what was surely the winning goal.
Wrong 1 minute 32 seconds left and Horspath with on final attack. A great ball in from the right evaded everyone apart from Chris Peck who had all the time in world the finish emphatically at the back stick.
Extra time and the home side were obviously deflated after coming from three nil down.
We were all feeling the strain when the away side managed to score there fifth goal and surely the home side couldn’t pick themselves of the canvas again.
They did, and it was Danny Taylor who managed to bundle his third and Freeland’s fifth over the line with 5 minutes left.
There wasn’t anytime for a winner and, so it was the dreaded penalty’s that would decide this epic game of Football.
Adam Lonsdale excellent in Freeland’s goal saving two penalties’. Veteran Lee Keyes with the worst penalty of his 87-year career creeping in at a snail’s pace and the ever-reliable Rob Keylock from the spot to win it.
A fantastic win a fantastic show of charter and another semi final to look forward to.
Well done lads. I love Saturdays even though I feel I have aged about 40 years watching this one.
See you next weekend.
Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 18, Nov 2017