Sat 17
First team
Golcar United
J Burgess (2'), (61'), S Barker (47')
Garforth 3 Golcar United 2

Garforth 3 Golcar United 2

By Andrew Marsh
Share via

A James Burgess brace and one from Sam Barker helped Town overcome a good Golcar side and register back-to-back wins.

In the only significant change from Wednesday's victory at Handsworth, Rinor Ejupi was drafted into fullback ahead of Alex Zachariou.

After conceding first in the last two games, The Miners were ahead as early as the second minute; a ball over the top found James Burgess who beat his man and chipped onrushing Golcar 'keeper Harry Stead. Nick Thompson fired over the bar from Rinor Ejupi's cross soon after, then Burgess was denied on the edge of the box by Stead when put through once more. Despite Town's good start, any sign of a capitulation by the visitors was soon dispelled in what was to be an end-to-end half in which they hit the woodwork twice. Kayle Price was the first on 10 mins with a good strike which hit the angle after Garforth couldn't clear their lines. The rebound fell to Dan Naidole who's effort went wide. The Town defence were forced to clear off the line from Price's corner to the near post, and then a Naidole overhead kick fell just beyond the far post after head tennis in the box from Adam Field's delivery. Toby Wells then made the first of a number of good saves of the afternoon when he diverted away from goal a Slater Barnes effort.

Down the other end Charlie Marshall was denied by some last-ditch defending from Declan McGivern after good work by Matt Ancliff down the left.

More chances followed for Golcar before the break. Naidole got on the end of Joseph Skarz's cross and lifted the ball over Wells, but saw his effort hit the crossbar. In injury time McGivern shot straight at the Town stopper at close range and Garforth went in at the break with their lead intact.

A flurry of goals at the beginning of the second half saw the game see-saw one way to the next in an exciting afternoon for the neutral. The second minute of this half went the same way as the first, but this time it was Golcar who scored to bring themselves level. An attack down the right ended in Naidole's low cross into the six-yard box somehow finding its way into the net. Garforth's reply was instant however, and the lead was restored a minute later when a left wing cross found Sam Barker in the box who scored with a low finish.

Wells made another save at the near post to keep out a Mark Everingham header, but after a Town attack broke down, the counter-attack led to a second United equaliser on 55 mins. With our defence caught cold, Price lobbed the ball over a stranded Wells and into the net.

It took only six minutes though to restore the lead once more, and this goal would prove decisive. Some brilliant footwork saw Marshall supply Burgess on the edge of the box to drive low into the net for his 35th goal for the club.

The Miners had Wells to thank again as the visitors strived to claim something from the game. He produced a top save to keep out Price's header from Barnes's cross, although the offside flag was raised. Jake Barrett was lucky to escape with just a yellow card after a bad challenge on substitute Lee Turner in front of the dugouts, then he almost infuriated home supporters further when he stepped up for a free-kick in a dangerous position moments later. Wells was there again though to keep his strike out of the top corner.

The Miners had rode their luck at times, but showed good character in twice responding immediately after being pegged back.
Another good win which takes us up to 7th in the table and make it four matches unbeaten. We take a break from league action with a visit to Northern League side Thornaby in the FA Vase next Saturday (kick-off 3pm).

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 17, Sep 2022






Premier Division

League position

Garforth Town
Golcar United