Sat 29
First team
Maltby Main
S Barker (23'), (56'), J Burgess (33'), (37'), C Marshall (52'), L Silva (69'), (90')
Garforth 7 Maltby Main 3

Garforth 7 Maltby Main 3

By Andrew Marsh
Share via

Braces from Barker, Burgess and da Silva and one from Marshall gave The Miners a commanding 7-3 win over in-form Maltby.

It was a result few could’ve predicted in a fixture between two in-form sides, and after a breathless first twenty minutes in which either could’ve taken the lead.

In the very first minute Sam Barker came close when played in by James Burgess; his low strike going just beyond the far post. Down the other end Jack Birks hit wide after Aaron Sennett-Neilson’s corner kick was only half-cleared, then Haydn Ward likewise shot off-target when supplied from the right.

Barker went close again after a good run through the middle, Maltby ‘keeper Dylan Parkin getting down to make the save. Charlie Marshall then saw an effort diverted wide for a corner after Burgess got clear and played the ball across the edge of the box. The sides continued to trade chances and Main danger man Frederick Tracey headed over the bar another Sennett-Neilson corner. Marshall was unlucky not to score when his shot was headed off the line by Ward after Barker’s shot was also blocked.

All that in just twenty minutes, but the game-changer arrived shortly after when Barker made a run through the middle and beat Parkin with a low shot at his near post.

On 33 mins our lead was doubled when Marshall’s ball over the top found Burgess who calmly finished beyond Parkin.

Two minutes later however the visitors halved the deficit when Sennett-Neilson received the ball from Brandon Bagley on the edge of the box and scored with a low strike across Wells. The visitors struggled to handle Burgess at the back though and the two-goal cushion was soon restored when he grabbed his second with another good finish. Barker made a run down the right and played in to our top scorer who turned and fired low into the net for his second of the game. A seventh consecutive game now where ‘Burg’ has found the net and his 45th goal for the club.

Matt Antcliff was denied by Parkin after Coupland’s pass evaded Maltby defenders five minutes before the break as Town went in search of a fourth.

There was another good chance for the midfielder to get on the scoresheet a few minutes into the second half, after robbing the ball off a defender he rounded Parkin but agonisingly saw his shot rebound off the foot of the near post. He did have an assist to his name shortly after however; his left wing cross was parried by Parkin straight to Marshall who rolled the ball home.

The Miners were relentless in attack whenever they received the ball, and we had a fifth on 56 mins. A diagonal ball from Denton picked out Antcliff who provided another assist, this time to Barker who poked home at the near post for his second. He almost earned a penalty moments later when he looked to have been fouled by Parkin, but the referee waved play on.

Antcliff was unfortunate again not to get on the scoresheet when Barker’s cross wasn’t dealt with, but Parkin denied him at close range.
Luis Silva was introduced on 68 mins and had himself a goal with his first touch. Getting on the end of Wells’ long punt forward he controlled and scored with a deft finish to make it 6-1.

Still in search of a first ever club hat-trick, Barker was denied again when Parkin made another good save after the midfielder was played in by Burgess.

The visitors’ heads never dropped, and Wells was called on to make a good stop from Alister Haydock with nine minutes remaining. They reduced the arrears on 86 mins when Wells was adjudged to have brought down Haydock. Sennett-Neilson stepped up and sent Wells the wrong way to make it 6-2. Another set-piece reduced the deficit to three in injury time when a free kick in a dangerous position was swept into the far corner by substitute Elliott Simpson.

The Miners had the last word however. Burgess and sub Alfie Parnell came together in the penalty area, and amid much confusion over whether the referee had blown for a foul either way, the ball found Silva who fired into the far corner to make it 7-3. That's eighteen goals in last three league games, making us the division's current top scorers. A win which extends our unbeaten run in the league to ten matches. We look to continue this rich vein of form when we pay a visit to Penistone Church next Saturday (kick-off 3pm).

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 29, Oct 2022






Premier Division

League position

Garforth Town
Maltby Main