Sat 19
First team
Silsden AFC
D Coupland (16'), N Thompson (21'), S Barker (41')
Garforth 3 Silsden 1

Garforth 3 Silsden 1

By Andrew Marsh
Share via

First half goals from Coupland, Thompson and Barker saw the Miners to a 3-1 win over in-form Silsden.

Prior to kick-off there was a minute’s applause for former Garforth midfielder Darren Abrams who sadly passed away earlier this week. Making over 200 appearances in the mid-late nineties, "Abey" was a key part of Dave Parker’s team which won promotion to the NCEL Premier Division for the first time, lifted the West Riding County Cup (twice) and the League Cup and reached the fourth round of the FA Vase in 1999. Condolences go to his family and friends.

Callum Brown and Nick Thompson returned to the starting lineup, replacing the injured Danny Gibbons and Matt Antcliff. Sam Denton was chosen ahead of Liam Woods, and joining the latter on the bench was fullback Alex Zachariou who returned after a spell out injured.

Silsden dominated the opening minutes, and the sluggish Miners had Toby Wells to thank when he brilliantly tipped Mark Hoban’s half volley on to the far post. Jamie Barkway slid in to keep out an Antony Brown turn and shot shortly after. So it was against the run of play that Town took the lead on 16 mins. Charlie Marshall made his way in from the right and supplied Dan Coupland to sweep the ball into the net. Our captain must enjoy playing against our opponents, having now scored in each of the last three meetings.

Five minutes later it was 2-0. Barkway’s header from Coupland’s corner kick was blocked on the line, but the rebound fell to Nick Thompson who fired in off the bar for his first club goal. Shortly after Liam Woods replaced Sam Denton who’s recent bad luck with injuries continues.

Ellis Hudson shot high and wide on 39 mins after a dangerous run along the edge of the box as The Cobbydalers sought a route back into the game. Three minutes before the break though Town made it three. After Coupland’s free kick went straight into the wall, the ball was played through to Sam Barker who raced clear and finished well into the far corner.

Despite Town’s commanding lead, the visitors continued to create chances and Wells denied Hudson with his feet after an intricate move through the middle.

Garforth struggled to get their attacking game going second half leaving the visitors to enjoy much of the possession, but superb defending restricted them to a handful of clear-cut chances. Wells tipped over a strike from a narrow angle early on, then Joseph Crosby’s turn and shot on the edge of the box was just over the bar.

It had been a frustrating afternoon for striker James Burgess who was kept out by good defending when picked out by a searching ball forward.

A free-kick in a dangerous position nine minutes from time gave Silsden an opportunity to get one back, and Ndlovu duly obliged with a fine strike which Wells could little about. In the end however there was too little time left for a dramatic comeback and The Miners went on to celebrate thirteen league matches unbeaten.

Paul Marshall's side hit the road next Saturday when we pay a visit to Hemsworth MW (kick-off 3pm).

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 19, Nov 2022






Premier Division

League position

Garforth Town
Silsden AFC