Stadium Sponsor - Bannister Prentice Accountants
Tue 18
First team
Handsworth Parramore
Garforth 0 Handsworth Parramore 5

Garforth 0 Handsworth Parramore 5

By Andrew Marsh
Share via

Hands Up....

Garforth suffered a third heavy defeat in four games as they were overpowered by a strong Handsworth side.

Both teams looked to get forward in the early stages, but before The Miners could test Joseph Green in the Parras goal, our opponents were handed the lead on a plate. On 8 mins Paul Hagreen couldn't control Luke Kitson's poor back pass, allowing striker Kieran Wells to pounce and even have time to get down and head the ball in over the line. Alex Rippon was unlucky on 17 mins when his curling strike crashed off the crossbar, before captain Jon Froggatt half-volleyed the rebound over the bar. Five minutes later Froggatt headed wide a good delivery from Simon Harrison, but on 24 mins the visitors doubled their lead. Wells shot against the near post from Tom Dugdale's corner kick, the rebound reaching Harrison who shot low through a crowd of players and into the bottom corner via a deflection. Soon after it was 3-0 and probably game over when Wells met Dugdale's delivery with a superb header over Hagreen into the net.

The Miners finally carved out their first and only real chance of the game on 35 mins when an excellent one-two between Mitch Hamilton and Mark Simpson ended in the latter forcing a low save from Green. The action soon continued down the other end when Hagreen turned Froggatt's curling effort round the post. Shortly after the Town keeper conceded a penalty when he charged out of his goal and brought down Wells on the edge of the box, referee Jan Suchecki eventually pointing to the spot after a chat with his assistant. Froggatt stepped up to take it, but Hagreen made amends by guessing the right way and making a good save to keep the score to three at half time.

Five minutes into the second half Connor Smythe brought another save from Hagreen with a low effort from 25 yards, the resulting corner scrambled off the line by the Garforth defence. Captain James Beaston was next to keep the score down, heading off the line after Hagreen rushed out of his goal and completely missed a right wing cross.

With manager Mick Godber by now making changes (each announced with a rather fancy electronic scoreboard), the chances dried up a little, although there were appeals for a Town penalty when Hamilton was challenged in the box by William Eades which were waved away. With goalkeeper Green largely a spectator, the promotion chasers replied by adding two fine goals in the last ten minutes to put a further dent in our goal difference. Substitute Harry Bamforth scored his third goal in two visits here on 84 mins with a cross-cum shot into the far corner from 25 yards before Smythe beat Russell Headley on the left a minute before time and bent a shot into the bottom corner.

An evening to forget for The Miners in which there was little for the home support to cheer. Rob Hunter and his team will hope for an improvement when we visit Athersley Recreation on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Tue 18, Oct 2016






Premier Division

League position

Handsworth Parramore
Garforth Town