Kit Sponsor - ERF Electrical Wholesalers LtdClub Sponsor - Nuffield HealthClub Sponsor - Keepmoat HomesClub Sponsor  - JM Physiotherapy
Sat 19
1st Team
Shirebrook Town
Gedling MW 4-1 Shirebrook Town

Gedling MW 4-1 Shirebrook Town

By Tom Surgay
Share via

Dominant Gedling ease to first home victory of the season

Gedling MW ........... 4 (Hylton 4', Tempest 39', 69', Wiggins-Thomas 73')
Shirebrook Town........1 (Harris 65')

Gedling Miners Welfare recorded their first home win of the season with a thumping 4-1 victory over Shirebrook Town.

A brace from Greg Tempest as well as goals from Niall Hylton and Ruben Wiggins-Thomas eased The Miners past Shirebrook but in truth the scoreline could have been even greater such was the hosts’ dominance.

It took Gedling just four minutes to break the deadlock as Hylton raced through on goal and calmly slotted the ball past Michael Ball in the Shirebrook goal. It was a fine finish to round off what had been a crisp passing move.

Despite having an early lead, Gedling resisted sitting back to protect their advantage and set about trying to kill off their opponents.

In the eleventh minute, Courtney Hastings swivelled in the penalty area and forced a smart save from Ball with a stinging shot. Felix Hogg latched on to the rebound but could only blaze his strike over the crossbar.

Shirebrook had enjoyed the odd foray forward but had struggled to find the final pass thanks largely to a disciplined display from the Gedling backline. Captain Josh Thornton in particular, made a number of vital last ditch interceptions to snuff out potential danger. However, after 15 minutes the visitors did briefly manage to break lines with their passing down the right. The ball was cut back but their striker could only shoot wide of the target.

A few minutes later, Shirebrook thought they had drawn level when they had the ball in the net thanks to a composed finish in a one on one scenario. However it was correctly chalked off for offside meaning Gedling still held the lead.

With 24 minutes gone, Wiggins-Thomas almost doubled Gedling’s advantage with a low shot from six yards out but Ball did brilliantly to palm the ball onto the post. Gedling were undeterred and kept pressing for a second with Hastings curling a shot just wide after more flowing build up play.

With halftime nearing, Gedling’s pressure finally told and they found a second goal. Hylton again bamboozled the defence with his pace and skill to work room for a shot which forced Ball into a save at full stretch. The ball bounced loose in the six yard box and Tempest turned it into a gaping net to give the scoreline a more comfortable look for the home side.

Hastings nearly added a third just before the break but couldn’t quite keep his header down; meaning the sides trudged off at half time separated by two goals to nil.

Gedling began the second half as they ended the first: very much on the front foot. It was Wiggins-Thomas who found himself at the centre of the action early on after the restart, as he had two good opportunities to get himself on the scoresheet.

The first, did end up in the back of the net but was disallowed for handball. On 49 minutes, Wiggins-Thomas charged down an attempted Shirebrook clearance and diverted it into the back of the net following a dangerous cross from the right flank. However, he was adjudged to have handled the ball whilst in the process of turning the ball into the net.

His second chance came two minutes later, courtesy of a delightful clipped pass from Hylton who picked him out in the penalty area. Wiggins-Thomas brought the ball down superbly but saw his goalbound effort well blocked by a Shirebrook defender.

Approaching the hour mark, Tempest’s freekick found Steven Brett free in the penalty area but he could only put his header wide of the target as Gedling continued to relentlessly pile on the pressure.

With 65 minutes played and completely against the run of play, Shirebrook got a goal back. Joe Harris let fly from the edge of the area and his low shot deceived Matthew Simpson in the Gedling goal to give the visitors a ray of hope.

However, this lifeline was quickly extinguished as Gedling restored their two goal lead just four minutes after conceding. Paolo Piliero who hadn’t long replaced Hylton, got free on the left wing and produced a teasing cross which Ball couldn’t gather. His misjudgement was anticipated by Tempest who blasted the ball into the net for his second goal of the game.

Four minutes later, Gedling added a fourth goal with Piliero again the provider, in what was proving to be an extremely effective cameo. The winger drilled a brilliant low cross into the box which Wiggins-Thomas expertly side footed beyond Ball and into the back of the net.

As the game neared the last ten minutes, things turned from bad to worse for Shirebrook as Ryan Ordidge was shown a straight red card for a nasty looking high challenge on Hastings.

Gedling had late chances to increase the misery for the ten men of Shirebrook but couldn’t quite convert them and had to settle for what was a richly deserved 4-1 win after arguably their best performance of the season so far.

Manager Chris Marks said: “Buzzing to be back, we’ve been itching through this last month, had a couple of friendlies, trained hard, the lads have stuck together. I said a couple of months ago when we click we will be a strong side and today I thought we were a strong side. It was enjoyable, the togetherness with the lads is superb and I think with all due respect to Shirebrook it could have been 7s, 8s maybe 9s with missed chances.”

Midfielder Greg Tempest said: “A really good win. To be honest we absolutely dominated the game from start to finish. We were in their faces, they didn’t really want it in the end and it just proved it with the scoreline.

“When we do get it down and play, the game becomes easy for us. We showed that with the win, it could have been even more than four.

“It’s a great changing room. I just want to say thanks to Alan Green for sponsoring me, I’m really grateful for that. Great set of lads, I love it here.”

Gedling Miners Welfare Man of the Match – Greg Tempest

Match Attendance – 114

Referee – Simon Bell
Assistant referees – Paul Dixon and Stephen Sears

Gedling Miners Welfare – Matthew Simpson, Charlie Roberts, Ross McCaughey, Kieran Harrison (Kyme Mason 84’), Steven Brett, Josh Thornton, Niall Hylton (Paolo Piliero 63’), Felix Hogg, Courtney Hastings, Ruben Wiggins-Thomas, Greg Tempest (Zibusiso Sibanda 74’)
Unused Substitutes – Dean Gent, Myles Gorey
Cautions – None

Shirebrook Town – Michael Ball, Joe Harris, Kieran Ordidge, Will Dodds, Ryan Bates, Ryan Ordidge, Nathan Jessop, Craig Purcell (C) , Grant Mitchell, Jack Hutchinson, Luke Manlove.
Substitutes – Ryan Collins, Connor Roberts, Sam Allcock, Max Higginson, Jordan Parsons.
Red cards- Ryan Ordidge 79’

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 19, Dec 2020






Premier Division Clubs

League position

Shirebrook Town
Gedling MW