Club Sponsor - Keepmoat HomesClub Sponsor  - JM PhysiotherapyTea Bar  - Next Level Catering Ltd Club Sponsor  - Tempest Management Training Ltd
Sat 16
1st Team
Lutterworth Athletic FC
N Appiah (69'), N Hylton (91'), R Wiggins-Thomas (82'), G Tempest (66'), K Mason (52')
Gedling MW 5-2 Lutterworth Athletic

Gedling MW 5-2 Lutterworth Athletic

By Tom Surgay
Share via

Clinical finishing sees victorious Gedling move into the top half of the table.

Gedling MW....................5 (Mason 53’, Tempest 66’, Appiah 70’, Wiggins-Thomas 82’, Hylton 90+1’)
Lutterworth Athletic ..........2 (Makombe 59’, Adcock 61’)

A clinical second half performance saw Gedling Miners Welfare come out on top in a seven goal thriller at home to Lutterworth Athletic on Saturday.

The hosts had the first chance of the match in the opening five minutes. Greg Tempest’s corner was swung into the box and Lloyd Patterson did well to get on the end of it but he could only head the ball wide of the goal.

There was then disappointment as Paolo Piliero limped off injured after scarcely five minutes on the clock. Kyme Mason replaced Piliero and ended up producing an impressive man of the match performance.

Tempest then found himself with two good chances in the space of four minutes. His first saw him played clean through on goal only to sky his shot. Whilst his second saw him strike a free kick on the right edge of the box inches wide of the post.

A scrappy period of play then ensued as both sides struggled to carve out clear opportunities. That was until the 33rd minute when Gedling captain Josh Thornton came agonisingly close to finding the breakthrough. Tempest’s perfectly flighted corner found Thornton unmarked at the back post but he could only direct his header into the side netting.

A minute later, Lutterworth almost punished Gedling for not being able to find the back of the net when a cross from the right hand side deceived Matthew Simpson in the Gedling goal and clipped the woodwork.

The visitors then went close again, five minutes before the break, as they began to work their way into the match. A fine team move ended with a shot fizzing narrowly wide of the target.

As the half time whistle sounded both teams trudged off after a fairly uneventful half. However, the action packed second half proved a complete contrast to the first.

Gedling took the lead just eight minutes after the restart. Mason broke into the box and produced a composed finish to slide the ball past the ‘keeper and into the back of the net.

Tempest almost doubled the lead three minutes later with a shot that stung the palms of the ‘keeper on its way over the bar as the Miners enjoyed the upper hand early on in the half.

However, they were stunned on the hour mark as the visitors scored two goals in just over a minute to take the lead against the run of play.

Good work down the right saw the ball cutback cleverly into the box. Despite two good blocks and the ball pinballing around the area, it eventually dropped to Thabo Makombe and he lashed it into the net.

The second was almost a carbon copy of the first as the visitors found yet more success down the right before picking out Jess Adcock who dispatched the ball into the net.

Gedling responded well to going behind and almost instantly equalised. Thornton whipped a free kick into the box but Liam Corrigan couldn’t keep his header down.

Two minutes later Thornton himself went close with a powerful shot from distance which the Lutterworth ‘keeper did well to push away.

In the 66th minute, Gedling finally got the equaliser that their pressure warranted. Ross McCaughey crossed the ball into the penalty area and Tempest was on hand to tap the ball home from inside the six yard box.

Three minutes later, Gedling retook the lead. A goalmouth scramble ended with Nathaniel Appiah slotting the ball into the net; his first goal for the Miners.

With just over ten minutes to go, the visitors almost equalised from a free kick when one of their attackers got free in the penalty area but could only head the ball wide of the target.

Gedling made the three points safe with eight minutes remaining. Lloyd Patterson played a delightful ball over the top which Ruben Wiggins-Thomas got on to the end of, skilfully beat the last man and slotted the ball home.

Niall Hylton added a fifth in stoppage time with an excellent free kick from the edge of the area. He clipped the ball over the wall and beyond the reach of the ‘keeper into the corner of the net to give the score line a deservedly convincing look.

As the full time whistle sounded, Gedling celebrated their fourth win in five matches as they moved into the top half of the league.

Gedling manager Andy Clerke said: “We are pleased. I thought we were a bit slow in the first half. We controlled the game but I thought there was a bit of pace, a bit of energy needed. We addressed that at half time. In the second half, we conceded a couple of really poor goals by the way, but then to have the character to go and get five and put them to bed quite comfortably in the end, I was really pleased with the last quarter of the game in particular; I thought we showed what we can do.”

Gedling Miners Welfare Man of the Match – Kyme Mason
Referee – William Booth

Assistant referees – Jude Brough and Jevon Swinscoe

Gedling Miners Welfare – Matthew Simpson, Lloyd Patterson, Liam Corrigan (Keiron Lane 67’), Ross McCaughey, Daniel Dixon, Josh Thornton, Nathaniel Appiah (Zee Sibanda 82’), Greg Tempest, Niall Hylton, Ruben Wiggins-Thomas, Paolo Piliero (Kyme Mason 6’).

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 16, Oct 2021




Division One

League position

Gedling Miners Welfare FC
Lutterworth Athletic FC
Kyme Mason

Player of the match

Kyme Mason