Sat 26
Phoenix Sports & Social
First Team
A Barber (24'), (90'), J Whitfield (53'), J Wharton (66')
Gritty performance sees Glapwell turn it around

Gritty performance sees Glapwell turn it around

By Paul Hepworth
Share via

Glapwell showed great fighting spirit as they came back from 3-1 down just after half-time to clinch a last minute 4-3 victory over Phoenix FC at Pavilion Lane.

After taking the lead midway through the first period, Glapwell seemed out of it when they fell 3-1 down after 48 minutes but they rallied afterwards to claim a victory that they deserved in the end with the winner coming in the final minute.

Glapwell made only one change from the Easter Monday victory over Sherwood Colliery with Ashley Ruse returning to the side in place of Jordan Jones who returned to finish the NCEL season with Teversal.

And Glapwell made a decent start to the game and they had the first chance on seven minutes when Ashley Ruse found space at the back post but he could only fire over from James Whitfield’s free-kick from the right.

Two minutes later, though, the home side went close when Steve McDonnell beat the offside trap but was denied by Ryan Hopkins but the ball came out to James Cregan who saw his effort blocked on the line by the covering Luke Fisher.

But Phoenix looked dangerous with pace up front and they had another chance when McDonnell again got through but he sliced his effort well wide from the edge of the area.

Glapwell continued to have chances of their own, though, and they went close when Carl Vickers’ free-kick was headed down to Dean Isaacs who turned and hit a shot that was turned around the post by home keeper Matt Herschell-Smith.

Just a minute later, though, Glapwell went in front when a corner from the left from James Whitfield was turned home by Ash Barber from six yards out.

They didn’t get chance to compose themselves immediately afterwards as the home side went close soon after when McDonnell tried to catch out Ryan Hopkins with a long-range free-kick which needed to be tipped over.

But from the resulting corner, Andy Garlick was left totally unmarked six yards out as he was able to head the ball home to pull his side level.

That was a disappointing goal to give away but Glapwell could have gone back in front before the break when Ash Barber played in James Whitfield who skipped past a defender before hitting a low shot which was parried by Herschell-Smith into the path of Adam Seward who saw his shot take a little deflection and go behind off the outside of the post.

There was a third goal before half-time, though, as the home side went in front right on the stroke of the break when Steve McDonnell’s free-kick from the left touchline curled all the way into the far corner.

It was a little harsh on Glapwell to be behind at the break but the second period started in the worst possible fashion as the home side extended their advantage when the ball was played in to James Cregan who held off Luke Fisher before sliding the ball past Ryan Hopkins.

Two minutes later it should have been game over as Andy Garlick was again unmarked from a corner but this time he could only head over the bar from six yards out.

That was a big let-off for Glapwell and they immediately got themselves back in it as James Whitfield played a one-two with Dean Isaacs before holding off a defender and he rounded Herschell-Smith to score his fifth goal in five games.

They regained momentum from that point and were unlucky not to be level just three minutes later when Adam Seward laid the ball off to Ash Barber who hit a first-time effort from 25 yards that bounced over off the top of the crossbar.

Carl Vickers then picked out James Whitfield with a cross from the right but unfortunately he could only slice his volley wide at the back post.

But after threatening it in the minutes before, Glapwell finally got themselves level on 66 minutes when another Vickers cross was this time headed home by Jake Wharton from 12 yards out.

With still a quarter of the game remaining, there seemed only one winner from that point and they could have turned the game on its head with 15 minutes remaining when Andrei Pykett played a great cross-field ball to Ashley Ruse who played the ball forward to Adam Seward who saw his shot tipped around the post at the near post.

As the game wore on, though, it looked like both sides would have to settle for a point but Glapwell had chances as a scramble in the box couldn’t be turned home by Adam Seward or James Whitfield who were both in there before Whitfield fired an effort well over after being played in by Craig Humphreys.

But as it looked like Glapwell would have to settle for only one point, they stole all three in the final minute when Brad Dowdall played in Ash Barber down the right who cut inside a defender before curling an effort into the far corner from just inside the area.

Although extremely dramatic with almost the final action it was much deserved on the second half showing and they managed to see out the remaining moments comfortably to hold on for an impressive victory.

It wraps up their away campaign which has been relatively successful, resulting in six victories, and the result sees them climb a place to 11th and with three league games, all at home, remaining they will have their sights firmly set on a top-ten finish which should be achieved with another victory.

The result also marks back-to-back victories for only the second time this season and stretches the unbeaten run to three games with only two defeats in the last seven league matches as they look to end the season strongly.

The first of the remaining three games takes place this Tuesday evening when they host Kinsley Boys at Hall Corner, kick-off 6.30pm.

Goals: Barber (Glapwell) 24; Garlick (Phoenix) 29; McDonnell (Phoenix) 45; Cregan (Phoenix) 48; Whitfield (Glapwell) 53; Wharton (Glapwell) 66; Barber (Glapwell) 90

Phoenix: Matt Herschell-Smith, James Davis, Carl Garlick, Marcus Green, Steve Spence, Andy Garlick, Scott McKenna (Matt Moorwood 77), Sam Hadfield, Steve McDonnell, James Lawton, James Cregan. Subs not used: Liam O’Brien, Joe Bland

Glapwell: Ryan Hopkins, Andrei Pykett, Luke Fisher, Carl Vickers, Ashley Ruse, Ash Barber, Jake Wharton, Adam Seward, James Whitfield, Dean Isaacs (Craig Humphreys 78), Geoffrey Gouveia (Brad Dowdall 65)
Glapwell Man of the Match: Ash Barber

Yellow Cards: Pykett (Glapwell) 45; Hadfield (Phoenix) 67; C Garlick (Phoenix) 72

Referee: Rob Rees (Chesterfield)

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 26, Apr 2014




Black Dragon North Division
Ash Barber

Player of the match

Ash Barber