Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Goole RUFC app


1xv - Match centre

Old Otliensians
Sat 13 Apr TBC - Northern Division - Yorkshire Division Two Full time

Final Win for 1sts Secures League Title


Emphatic Home Win in Front of Large Crowd

Goole’s emphatic win on Saturday over already relegated Old Otliensians saw them crowned League champions and they will be plying their trade in Yorkshire Division one next season. The celebrations carried on long into the evening in the clubhouse that was packed to the rafters for several hours after the game.
Goole started the match on the front foot and an early Rhys Moore penalty followed shortly afterwards by a try from James Walton, converted by Moore saw them race to a 10 point lead after 6 minutes to settle any nerves. It was on 18 minutes when they extended their lead, a turnover close to their own line after a period of pressure from the visitors saw 10 passes and direct running release Richard Barrass to score an unconverted try for 15-0. Soon afterwards James Walton was in the sin bin for his seemingly regular mid game rest and Luke Beecher was sacrificed for 10 minutes to allow replacement prop Louis Sugden on the field, and it was in this period that the visitors scored, an elusive run by their powerful centre saw him over by the posts, converted for 15-7. The return to full strength saw Goole resurgent as a Sam Smith break saw Louis Sugden in support to score 20-7. 34 minutes and yet another superb passage of play, forwards and backs combining allowed Connor Walker to grab the bonus point try, converted by Moore for 27-7. Old Otliensians rallied and a period of pressure saw them held up over the Goole line but they were not to be denied from the resulting scrum and registered an unconverted try for 27-12 at the half time break.
As with many games this season, the second half saw Goole totally dominate and a steady stream of unanswered tries ensued, the visitors often chasing shadows as Goole went through the gears. Defensive pressure high up the field saw the excellent James Chantry steal the ball and set up a ruck, Jack Smith hitting a powerful line to burst between 2 defenders to score, Moore converting for 34-12. Rhys Moore then got in on the try scoring as he ghosted through a tiring defence to score a try he converted himself for 41-12. Further pressure following dominant tackles from James Chantry and Jack Smith saw the ball pop up to Richard Barrass for him to scoot down the touchline to score his second, converted by Moore for 48-12. 15 minutes remaining and minor scuffle escalated quickly and the visitors second row and Goole hooker Chris Wood were shown red cards for their part in the melee. 10 minutes to go and Luke Beecher fielded a weak clearance kick 40m out and stepped through the defence to score under the posts, Moore again converting for 55-12. Incessant pressure and an untidy lineout from the visitors saw Will Devenish intercept and score beside the post, Moore adding the extras for 62-12. If this had been a boxing match the ref would have stopped it to save further punishment but Goole had time for one more, a Will Townend turnover allowed Louis Sugden to release Matty “Tink” Taylor to score, Moore’s conversion brought the final whistle and a final score of 69-12.
A fitting end to a superb season for not only the first team, but the 2nd team who won their Merit League at a canter and have a home semi-final on Saturday, the 3rd team finished 4th in their Merit League and also have a top 4 play-off semi-final on Saturday, away at Pocklington.

Win a Maximuscle training session with Anthony Watson

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Yorkshire Division Two results

Wheatley Hills


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Goole 26 104
2. Leodiensian 26 101
3. Wath Upon Dearne 26 85
4. Northallerton 26 84
5. Roundhegians 26 65
6. North Ribblesdale 26 64
7. Wheatley Hills 26 64

Team sponsors


Club sponsors