Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Goole RUFC app


2xv - Match centre

Goole RUFC
Scarborough 2nd XV
Sat 20 Apr 15:00 - League Full time

Goole 2nds Win Hard Fought Game With Scarborough


2nds Reach League Play-off Final

Goole twos entertained Scarborough in the East Yorkshire Merit League 1 Semi Final on Saturday in sunny warm conditions in front of a big crowd.

Expectations were high following the firsts league win and a semi final place on Friday at Pock 7s and the seconds did not disappoint.

Goole had beaten Scarborough twice in the league rounds, a 44-0 home win and a closer 34-33 away win and the home side made it 3 wins out of three and will meet Driffield in next Sunday’s final.

The opening exchanges were even with both sides feeling their way
Scarborough had brought a very strong 23 and had the early ball using their big heavy forwards to punch holes in the Goole defence. Defensively Goole have been exceptional this season and they repelled the away sides offence with some crunching hits. The game then exploded into life with Rob Shand making a half break and George Marwood taking a clever pass to get in behind the defence and scorch over.

Scarborough replied almost immediately with a converted try, Goole turning their backs on a quickly taken penalty before George Marwood added a second after good work again from the forwards. Huwie Davies adding the extras.

Scarborough then scored the try of the game, a miss move in midfield caught the Goole backs cold as support inside took Goole out of the game to give the visitors a 12-14 half time lead.

The half time talk was about upping the intensity as the home side roared into the opposition.

Marwood added a third with a dummy and fend to go over under the posts, Davies again adding the conversion.

Scarborough worked a good position in Goole’s 22 but a fantastic defensive set repelled the visitors and they came away with only a penalty and a 19-17 score.

With the game in a knife edge Goole smelt blood and went for the kill as they upped the work rate. Jack Smith and captain Tom Green we’re finding gaps in Scarborough’s defence and worked a good position deep in the visitors half.
Joe Grimbleby kicked deep into the corner from a penalty, Steve Morris took a well worked line out and when the ball was held up Tom Green broke blind to crash over. Alan Neal landed a fantastic touchline conversion to extend Goole’s lead to 26-17 and give the home side some daylight.

Goole were now in the ascendancy the forwards enjoying the last 10 mins of possession before losing Digger and Green to injuries.

Jack Smith then capped a fine individual performance cutting a powerful line to outpace the defence and the final whistle went with Goole 31-17 winners.

Where to start? A really good game of rugby played by two good sides with no quarter given. Goole in the end just had enough quality to see off the visitors and there were some standout performances from the second string.
Tom Green led the way in the forwards well supported by Al Kinghorn, Phil Jackson, Rob Shand and Steve Morris.
George Marwood bossed the game at 9 and both veteran centres Huwie Davies and James Dougherty rolled back the years in defence and attack.

The coaching team managed the rolling replacements well spelling players in the warm sunshine as everyone played their part in a fine team performance. However there was only one man of the match with Jack Smith head and shoulders above everyone on the day. His no none sense approach to go forward put Goole on the front foot again and again.
The final is next Sunday 28th April and is to be held at Beverley RUFC with a 3.30pm kickoff

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors