Sat 06
Glan Conwy
A Poor Display

A Poor Display

By gareth allman
Share via

But a points better than nothing

A sunny afternoon at Maes Meurig provided a near perfect setting for todays fixture, with the only disappointment being the playing surface which was surprisingly bobbly, having said that it was the same for both sides and we've played on far worse this season.

With Gerry & Steve Sinclair picking up knocks during our heroic display at Holywell we were required to shuffle things a bit. We lined up as a 4-3-3 with Paul Wally replacing Steve at the back and then Ryan tucking into the middle and Corey coming in up top.

From the off we appeared to be lagging, possibly suffering from our heavy schedule and die hard performance on a very heavy Holywell pitch in midweek. Gwalchmais midfield didn't stamp their authority and the forwards failed to apply pressure in the early stages. It was a very poor first half and a bit of a ding dong affair with long balls and poor play, both sides struggling to string a series of passes together. Gwalchmai after 30 minutes looked to mix things up and switched to 4-4-2 with an intention to spread the ball wide.

The only clear chance of the half fell to Andy Sinclair who volleyed across goal from the back stick following some good play down the left flank. The visitors also created very little clear chances with the only notable moment coming on 25 mins when Kenny Hughes saved smartly. The half fizzled out at 0-0.

The second half saw pretty much more of the same poor play and ineffective attacks by Gwalchmai. There was a distinct lack of desire and energy levels were at an all time low.

Gwalchmai's sloppy play came when the ball was lost in the opposition half, they then tamely broke unchallenged by the Gwalchmai midfield, an easy ball over the backline let in the visitors wide man who calmy slotted home to make it 0-1.

After the goal Gwalchmai made a change with Steve Jones coming on for Corey Sinnott. Steve's fresh legs added some movement and energy up top and Gwalchmai attacked with a bit more intent. It was sub Steve who won a header at the back post to play in Craig Evans to smartly volley home in off the post, 1-1.

Following the goal we pushed on further and appeared to be the only side that was going to take 3 points from the game. Ryan Taylor shot wide after cutting inside, Mark Loggs riffled high and wide from close range, Craig Evans tipped over from inches and Andy Sinclair volleyed into number 85's garden from 18 yards.

Despite pushing on in the last 15 minutes we didn't deserve to take the lead, a draw was a fair result between two very poor sides. In the first half the Gwalchmai midfield were too deep and lacked energy, and were slightly better in the second half - yet still sloppy... the forwards provided a distinct lack of movement and stood as a line of 4 across the pitch, but in their defence were provided with limited service. With exception to the goal Kenny and the back four were solid and that's where our best players on the day were found.

Was this burn-out from the Holywell game or was it complacency?! Whichever it was we must kick ourselves up the arse for Tuesday night to avoid embarrassment against a Llangefni side with pride & bragging rights at stake.

Today we didn't lose which is the main thing, to play badly and still pick up a point is some consolation.

FT 1-1

Gwalchmai Man of the Match: Mark Evans (Loggs)

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 06, Apr 2013






Division 1