Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hamworthy United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Hamworthy United Football Club
Sat 26 Jan 15:00 - League Full time Attendance 94

Hamworthy United 2 Alresford Town 0


Sydenhams Premier League (Saturday 26th January 2019)

Hamworthy United 2 Alresford Town 0
Sydenhams Premier League (Saturday 26th January 2019)
Before today’s game the Hammers were in sixth place, but only on goal difference just above the Town who had played two games more. United's only draw of the season in the league had come in fact at Alresford in September (3-3). Both clubs were currently in form, and scoring freely, so another close and high scoring encounter could be on the cards. After the midweek game, Jamie Filkins stepped in for Ryan Watkins who was carrying a knock to his ankle, and it was also a relief to see Chris Senior make the bench after his nasty head injury two weeks ago.
The Town carried most of the early threats, Paul Coventry rising unmarked on 5 minutes to head Liam Hibberd's corner just wide of the far post. Midway through the half, Tom Rees had to be alert to push out a rasping long drive from Steve Hall, before clearing an effort off the line from the resulting corner. The second part of the half however belonged very much to United, with Jordan Tewkesbury in the Magpies' goal called uponto make a cluster of top class saves. The pick of these came after United were awarded a penalty on the half hour. This followed a challenge by Magpies' captain Chris Mason on Sam Bayston. Nathan Walker's spot kick had plenty of meat on it, but Tewkesbury saved superbly diving to his right. Olly Balmer and Ollie Davis, both had good chances well saved, and Dan Cann also found the Magpies' keeper safe as a brick wall. Meanwhile his opposite number Rees was tested just once in that period, diving well to keep out Scott Munrow's low effort to the far post. The Hammers were firing enough warning shots leading up to the interval, but with the Town still posing a threat, they knew they would have to do better in the second half, and find the net to record a third successive home win.
H/T 0-0
The second half finally started 8 minutes late amid some confusion. Unknown to many, Magpies' stopper Tewkesbury had taken a nasty knock near the end of the first half after a challenge with Cann. Only when he was about to take the field again did he really feel it, finding it difficult to walk. Both clubs returned to their changing rooms while the injury was reassessed. Substitute Conor Whitely, normally a centre forward, donned the Town gloves. It is hard to know how much Tewkesbury's injury affected Town's game. In fact, it took only six minutes after the restart for the hosts to find the net, with some quality teamwork. A forward ball by Jamie Filkins was swept wide by Cann to Davis lurking on the right. Davis threaded the ball superbly across the goalmouth bisecting two Town defenders, leaving Sam Bayston with an easy tap in at the far post. With the Hammers now in complete control, Davis put a pinpoint cross from Balmer just wide of the far post. Davis then came so close to scoring one of the all time classic goals seen at the County Ground. From within his own half, he twisted and turned past one Magpie player after another, before having only the keeper to beat from six yards. Unfortunately he then fluffed his lines with a meek side-foot shot with his wrong foot that was easily saved by Whitely. United did however still manage to fashion a second goal on 66 minutes. A precise cross the left from substitute Luke Stone was rammed home from ten yards by Sean Wright just inside the far post. Stand in keeper Whitely could certainly not be blamed for either goal, and in fact went on to make good saves from Brad Gale and Cann. Rees had not had a second half save to make before eventually being called into action 5 minutes from time. He kept out Munrow's effort with his legs, before holding onto Coventry's follow up. Although one had to feel a little for Alresford losing their inspired keeper at the interval, the Hammers had dominated most of the game and deserved their win. Their second half performance was excellent, built upon some good understanding and interplay between the players. United now move up to 5th, only 7 points behind Poppies (who they have yet to visit, having beaten them at home) and with two games in hand of their neighbours.
F/T 2-0
Hamworthy United: T Rees, J Filkins, D Randall, S Wright, N Walker (c), A Costello, O Davis (E Hodge 75), B Gale, O Balmer (L Stone 60), D Cann, S Bayston (J King 85)
Unused Subs: C Senior, N Patrick

Own the grind together in adidas Teamwear

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.