Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hamworthy United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Andover New Street
Hamworthy United Football Club
Sat 2 Mar 15:00 - League Full time

Andover New Street v Hamworthy United


Sydenhams Premier League (Saturday 2nd March 2019)

Andover New Street v Hamworthy United
Sydenhams Premier League (Saturday 2nd March 2019)

The Hammers were making their first ever trip to Foxcotte Park. On paper this looked a routine three points for the highly placed United against a newly promoted New Street outfit, who were now propping up the table. However, the hosts would no doubt be fighting for every point to remain in this league especially after winning 4 and drawing 1 of their previous 6 games in all competitions. After United's remarkable midweek late cup comeback, there were a few tactical changes to the starting line-up. Eddie Hodge, now returned from University, Dan Cann and the previously cup-tied James King, all started the game. They replaced Luke Stone who was unavailable, together with Ollie Davis and Olly Balmer, both of whom were likely to be called upon at some point in the game. Adam Costello, who was also on the bench, was still not quite fit, and Jamie Filkins was out injured. Jamie Gleeson was still unavailable due to work commitments.
There was little evidence of the gulf in league position in a disappointing first half. Although they never looked in any real danger, Hamworthy's midfield play was at times rugged and a little scruffy, giving their undoubted talent upfront very little to feed off. When the chances did come, United were prone to find themselves a bit short of the quality needed to find a route to goal. This was not helped possibly by the amount of space they had to cover on a big uneven pitch. It took 25 minutes to see the first shot on target, but Andover’s Ilyas Warshow's effort was easily caught by Tom Rees. The first real chance of the game also fell to the same player on the stroke of half time, heading Callum Sweeney's corner a fraction over the bar. Although Eddie Hodge then shot narrowly wide following a clearance from Sam Bayston's corner, it was obvious that the Hammers would certainly need to change something in the second period.
H/T 0-0
In fairness to United, they did crank up the pressure a little after the restart and briefly got on top for a while. Dan Cann was putting in some long throws, but on the wide pitch it meant that these were too easily hoofed back into touch by the Street defence. The Hammers at last found the target just after the hour, Captain Nathan Walker's close range header from Hodge's cross was well held by home stopper George Baxter. The hosts though always remained a threat with the amount of time they had on the ball. A remarkable long looping shot by Zachary Hine then almost caught out Rees before it crept just over the bar. Again play quickly switched to the other end, a neat pass by Bayston was driven towards the far post by Brad Gale, but again it was saved well by Baxter. It took a mistake by Tom Rees to allow the hosts to break the deadlock on 67 minutes. His poor touch from Ryan Watkins' back pass handed possession to the Streets man of the match Warshow. The United keeper actually came off worse as he tried to bring the Street man down. It was perhaps a blessing for Rees that Warshow had already put the ball into the net before a penalty, and maybe other sanctions, could be given. Five minutes later Rees redeemed himself somewhat pushing out a fierce swerving shot from Sweeney following good work by Shane Lock. The Hammers tried unsuccessfully to find a way back. However apart from a lucky save by Baxter, who fell onto the ball as Cann's fierce low shot got caught in his legs, the hefty New Street clearances just kept on coming. This must rank as a bad day at the office for United who at least remain in fifth place. The industrious Andover New Street team, who appeared to stick to a plan, were left to deservedly celebrate an unlikely double over the Hammers and haul themselves into a chance of survival.
F/T 1-0
Hamworthy United: T Rees, D Randall, R Watkins, S Wright (O Davis 75), N Walker (c), C Senior, J King (O Balmer 75), B Gale, E Hodge, D Cann, S Bayston
Unused Subs: J Tregaskas (gkp), A Costello, N Patrick

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors