Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hamworthy United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Hamworthy United Football Club
Tue 9 Apr 19:45 - League Full time

Shaftesbury 1 Hamworthy United 1


Sydenhams Premier League (Tuesday 9th April 2019)

Shaftesbury 1 Hamworthy United 1
Sydenhams Premier League (Tuesday 9th April 2019)

The Hammers arrived in North Dorset knowing that even a draw would push them up into fourth place in the league, if only for a few days. However, with 14th placed Shaftsbury in good form and with three wins and a draw from their last five games, and with United missing several regulars through sickness or unavailability, they could take nothing for granted. The Clubs had already met twice this season. Following a very late comeback, a very fortunate United won at Cockrams in the October FA Vase encounter. Shaftesbury however had their revenge just two weeks later with a decisive 3-0 win at the County Ground. Hamworthy’s absentees meant their two U16 Team players Cam Munn and Neemo Nixon had a chance to prove themselves, albeit from the bench.
The Hammers started the stronger. A very early chance on the edge of the penalty area conveniently fell to Luke Stone in plenty of time and space. However the United man was unable to reproduce his Saturday form, and showed his frustration after he rushed his shot well wide. Against the run of play the hosts took the lead in the 6th minute. There seemed little danger when Sean Wright lost possession near the half way line to Jason Beal. With space around him he elected to run with the ball, but was soon halted by Declan Randall. Randall then stroked the ball across the penalty area for Tom Rees to clear. However the United keeper unfortunately missed his kick completely and the ball rolled on to Derick Hayford for an easy tap into an empty net. The remainder of the half was unspectacular with neither side looking like scoring, and neither keeper being really worked. The United defence tackled well and were easily able to play themselves out of any threat that arose. Often going forward however they were caught in long bouts of inter-passing passing in and around the half way line, that went nowhere on the big pitch. This was not made any easier by a tight home defence that held a high line and caught the Hammers too often off side. Their best chances fell to Ryan Watkins who agonizingly put his shot across the face of the goal after receiving an excellent ball from Wright. Later James Rowe finished a good run but unfortunately with a weak shot that was easily saved.
H/T 1-0
Both teams huffed and puffed after the interval, but again very little got through to either keeper. The Hamworthy defence remained solid, but too much seemed to be asked of their lone striker Stone up front. However this all changed with the introduction of youngsters Nixon and Munn after 75 minutes, which appeared to breathe new life into the United attack. Indeed on 77 minutes Munn played a clever one-two with Nixon, before he was sent sprawling by Beal just as he was about to pull the trigger. This resulted in a clear cut penalty. Up stepped Luke Stone whose powerful spot kick almost ripped the net out after skimming the underside of the bar. A few minutes later the Hammers so nearly went in front, when a good ball from Munn found Stone on the right perimeter of the area. The United striker's first time shot however crashed against the outside of the near post to safety. Never the less it was the home team who applied most of the late pressure. Rees was required to beat out a strong free kick from Greg Peel. Jack Mitchell then headed over an open goal from a few yards out after the ball had come to him at great speed giving him little time to react. A point apiece was probably a fair result, with United perhaps feeling the happier after their late recovery. They now have their noses in front of Portland, a position which looked most unlikely at Christmas, but also know they must still get a good return from their last three games to have a chance of staying in fourth place.
F/T 1-1
Hamworthy United: T Rees, C Senior (C Munn 75), D Randall (c), S Wright, C Cocklin, A Costello, R Watkins, J Gleeson (J Filkins 50), L Smith, J Rowe, P Smith (N Nixon 75)
Unused Subs: O Davis

The FA SuperKicks app launched to kick-start children's play and learning

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors