Sat 31
Hanwell Town
Hertford Town
Hanwell Town 4 Hertford Town 1

Hanwell Town 4 Hertford Town 1

By Clive Cooke
Share via

Home win

Report by Malcolm Paice

Hanwell maintained their unbeaten record with this ebullient display in front of another good crowd at ‘The Powerday’. Town not only netted four times but also earned a number of spontaneous rounds of applause for demonstrating some pleasing-on-the-eye cross-field balls and quick-fire passing moves. It was certainly a great improvement on the previous game where the hot weather, considerable journeys and proximity of the matches seemed to combine to give Town a jaded look, (until the final exciting minutes). In fact, Town took the lead against Hertford through right back Callum Woodcock after just two and a half minutes. The debutant won the ball in his own half before playing a one-two with Gareth Chendlik that seemed to be covered by Nicholas Hayes in the visitors’ goal. However, the young ‘keeper spilled the ball and Callum‘s chase brought him the rich reward of an unguarded goal. Five minutes later Brian Testolin had the ball in the net but was ruled offside. Another move down the right saw Brian’s cross cleared after a neat one-two with the industrious Tayshan Hayden-Smith. With just over fifteen minutes played Town added a deserved second goal, when Harry Rush drove a free kick into the bottom corner from outside the area.

Two minutes after the second goal, a strong run by Joel Jacobs was finished with an incisive pass to Gareth, who cut inside and thundered the ball against the underside of the crossbar. The ball was cleared away only as far as Harvey Killeen, whose goal-bound shot was spectacularly saved by Hayes. Three minutes later Tayshan found Harvey who was once again thwarted by Hayes. The ensuing corner eventually reached Dwayne Duncan whose clipped cross found Gareth’s head but Hayes saved easily this time. With the game a quarter of the way through it looked as if Town might run riot, but that was not to be the case. The young Hertford side, which had perhaps been guilty of over-passing, began to come into the game, and Hugo Sobte was called upon to turn a goal-bound free kick from Kouadio Ehui for a corner. Two minutes later Prince Domafriyie cut inside and curled the ball narrowly outside the far post. The rest of the half was a bit of an anti-climax, with neither side seriously threatening their opponents’ goal.
Hanwell began the second half as they had the first, on the offensive, and went close to a third goal when, from a corner, Brian’s header back across the six yard line was powerfully headed against the bar by Gareth. A minute later, in the fiftieth, the third goal came. Tayshan and Harvey exchanged passes to put the latter clear on goal. Harvey’s shot was blocked but he followed up to give the Geordies a three goal lead. Andy O’Brien then forced Hayes into action with a goal-bound drive, before Harvey shot over after a strong run. Just as in the first half the match then went into a quiet period, during which time Town brought on all three substitutes. However, with just over a quarter of an hour to play, the last of these, Liam Tack, who had replaced the injured Harvey, brought everyone to their feet with a cracking goal. He did well to control a cross-field ball before cutting inside and driving the ball high into the net from distance.

To their credit the visitors kept on trying to play possession football and were rewarded when Domafriyie’s low cross was put into the net by substitute Luke Gymel from close range. As the game entered the final stages Town continued to press for a fifth goal that would, as it turned out, have moved them up to second in the league. However, it was not to be. Rob Laney’s header from Dwayne’s cross was well saved and Harry’s shot from twenty yards out whistled narrowly over. Well into added-on time, Tayshan put Liam through, but Hayes prevented a fifth for Town, who now turn their attention away from the league with two cup games to be played in the week ahead.

TEAM: 1.Hugo Sobte 2.Callum Woodcock 3.Joel Jacobs 4.David Taylor © 5.Dwayne Duncan 6.Andy O’Brien 7.Tayshan Hayden-Smith 8.Harry Rush 9.Gareth Chendlik (15.Rob Laney 60) 10.Harvey Killeen (16.Liam Tack 67) 11.Brian Testolin (12.Maxwell Oldham 57).

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 31, Aug 2019






South Central Division

League position

Hanwell Town
Hertford Town