October Newsletter 2021

October Newsletter 2021

By Steven Kittendorf
6 November 2021
Share via

Season's first outing for 2nd XV

The Harbury RFC Mini & Juniors have enjoyed getting back to fixtures on a Sunday morning with fixtures against Alcester, Banbury, Leamington, Rugby St. Andrews and Stratford. We have also had some Junior Warwickshire Cup fixtures, unfortunately the U14s missed out to a strong Birmingham and Solihull team, the lads put in a fantastic performance. Our U15s had an eventful match with Leamington that resulted in a 15-15 draw.
We are building relations with Coventry RFC following several first team players coming to Waterloo Fields to run training sessions on a Sunday morning at the beginning of the season. The next event is a takeover day at Butts Park Arena on the 6th November with all age groups involved in pre match on pitch activities with first team players, then taking a seat to watch 80 minutes of Championship rugby!


This was an excellent hard fought game between two evenly matched teams in this third league encounter for both sides in the 2021/22 season.
The closeness of the final result does not reflect the first half dominance that Harbury had. They won good set ball and competed effectively at the breakdowns.
Yet by half time Harbury had a narrow 10-nil lead, through two excellent tries but missed conversions and penalties. Despite this excellent defence kept the home line intact.
A fully deserved win for Harbury which reflects the hard work put in by all the players.


Despite conceding a try in the first five minutes, this appeared to settle the nerves and several attacks were mounted on the hosts try line. The run of play turned against the visitors when their open side flanker broke clear to score the first of his three tries.
The second half saw Harbury dominating both territory and possession to bring the score within four points before OLs ran in a try wide out with the last play of the game to win the match 33-24.
This was a credible performance by Harbury producing a great spectacle that bodes well for the rest of the season.

So often when these two teams have met at Piddle Park (yes really!) the result has been tight. Indeed this game was no exception with the outcome decided in the last four minutes.
A slow start by the visitors allowed Pershore’s winger to slide through for a well taken try. Whilst Harbury came back well as Pershore conceded a number of penalties, the home side scored next with a converted try. This galvanised Harbury who with the backs especially effective created two tries before the break to put the game at 12-12
Pershore added a penalty after the break. However for the next quarter Harbury were dominant and very effective with ball in hand adding two further tries and gaining a try bonus point.
A penalty try conceded by the visitors in the last minutes of the game sealed the win for Pershore.

Share via