News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
SVC2000 Roermond 0-2 FC Roerdalen - Match Report

SVC2000 Roermond 0-2 FC Roerdalen - Match Report

Nik Pye27 May - 08:00
Share via

View from the Sportpark De Wijher, Roermond, Netherlands

View from the Sportpark De Wijher, Roermond

Monday 20 May

SVC2000 Roermond 0 (0) FC Roerdalen 2 (1)

A goal at the end of each half was enough to secure the points for the visiting team, while already relegated SVC signed off with a determined defensive display and limited the opportunities for Roerdalen to find the net.

We arrived to find a magnificent facility, with a main pitch, reserve pitch and plenty of junior and training pitches, with a spacious pavilion and an outside barbecue area. The pitches are grass and in excellent condition. A perfect venue for a tournament!

On the field, the team has had a difficult season and will be relegated to the lowest tier in Dutch football. It is a purely amateur side, but the membership of players and supporters is extremely strong, essential as, according to the senior officials we met, the rental of the facility is not cheap. In a London suburb, it would be out of the question!

As with the Neuwied match the previous day, the referee was assisted by two linesmen, one from each team. Both kept up with play well, and the referee managed the game well.

As was expected, the difference between the bottom team and the higher-placed side was evident. Roermond were set up to play a defensive game, but the problem with this strategy was the lack of an outlet to get the ball up the pitch to relieve the pressure. There seemed to be players in the side with the physical capabilities to play this role.

The first meaningful foray by the visitors came in the eighth minute when they hit the inside of the post from the right, but the ball stayed out. Overall, Roerdalen arrived without their shooting boots and fired many shots wide and high - in the 19th minute a shot from range went well over.

An early injury to a home player gave an early opportunity for substitute Robert Ga Ionascu to take the field. He mounted an impressive run down the right, only to be flagged offside, which looked to be marginal at best. It will be interesting to see it on the Veo playback! A similar foray down the left survived the offside trap but was seen off by the visitors' defence. It took until the 33rd minute for SVC to mount a shot, which went well wide, leaving an opposition defender injured in the box.

With the game still goalless after half an hour, it seemed that we might reach half time without the deadlock being broken. But defending in the heat started to take its toll and the pressure from Roerdalen mounted in the last minutes prior to the interval. On 40, an opportunity was side-footed wide, when it might have been easier to score. On 43, a great save by home goalkeeper Jort Emans kept out a driven shot from outside the area.

But although SVC mustered a long range shot which went well over, a goal for the visitors came in the second minute of added time. A pacey run down the right and a cross ended in the top of the SVC net. This would have changed the nature of the home side's half-time team talk.

The second half was characterised by several stoppages owing to minor injuries, niggles and cramps, which eventually led to around 10 minutes of added time at the end. The home team defended stoutly, without ever looking threatening themselves.

The home team's best opportunity to get back on terms came from a free kick midway in the Roerdalen half and just to the left of centre. A perfect opportunity to get the big players up for a cross - but it was wasted by trying to score directly and missing by a distance. Something to address on the training pitch!

On 52, Roerdalen had the ball in the net for a second time, but the effort was clearly and correctly ruled offside. On 66, Emens did well to hold onto a low curling shot. A much better save followed on 77, when he pawed away a powerful shot to his right.

It is credit to SVC that it took until the 88th minute for the visitors to make the game safe. They broke down their right, and hit the ball across the goal, with a precise finish to the keeper's left.

After that, it was damage limitation. On 90 Emens made another great save to his right, and then touched the follow up onto the post. On 92 he made another good save, while on 93 Roerdalen's last shot went just wide. The last shot of the game was by SVC, but it went over.

We were particularly impressed by the substitute Robert Ga Ionascu, wearing number 8, who came on early in the match due to an injury. And captain Sjoerd Waajen, wearing number 5, marshalled the defence competently. Goalkeeper Emans was busy throughout and kept the scoreline to respectable proportions.

SVC200 Roermond: Jort Emans; Guillaime Janssen, Job Heijmans, Sjoerd Waajen (c), Ryan van Soest, Dani Verstappen, Lythiano Steevens, Pieter-Raoul van Cruchten, Robert Hansen, Messaoud Bougueroua, Tim Cruijsberg. Subs: Imran Bousfia, Robert Ga Ionascu, Luc Romeijnders, Loewieke van Cruchten, Ramdan Naanai, Kevin van Soest.
FC Roerdalen: Jesper Janssen; Niels van Kessel, Max Smeets, Ivo Claessen (c), Dennis Pastoor, Bram Offerman, Tycho Willems, Remco Pustjens, Sander Claessen, Jürgen Dirkx, Juul Strous. Subs: Roel van Kessel, Pascal Claessen, Sander Muijsers, Jip Cox.

Further reading