Powered By
Rank 358
Second half woes for Ingles Vs Hucknall Town.

Second half woes for Ingles Vs Hucknall Town.

By Rory Donald
28 September 2020
Share via

Hucknall Town ran out 5-1 winners at The Dovecote after an unfortunate final 45 minutes for Ingles.

An opening goal from Billy Snaith and a Hucknall equaliser by Butler shortly after were overshadowed by 4 second half goals for the away side. Goals from Sims, Grant, Jenkins and Nelson took the points back to Hucknall, who retained their position second in the table.

Josh Bowley made a return from a knock he picked up to his ankle which is great news. Adam Boulter took the armband in replacement of Michael Tuck.

Ingles starting XI: Abell, A Bowley, Boulter (c) ,Brownett, Rawson, J Bowley, D Tuck, McCourt, Snaith, Woodbine, Copson.

Contrary to the scoreline, this was not an afternoon without positives for us. We started the game very well; energy levels were high from the off and our first chance came within seconds. McCourt, Snaith and Tuck moved the ball well early, the latter linked up well with Josh Bowley down the right who breezed past his man and the square ball fell to Woodbine whose shot fizzed past the right post.

Confidence was high and it wasn’t long before our early pressure paid off in the form of a goal. Dan Tuck was screaming for the ball as he made his run in behind, the through ball was weighted well and he was off down the right wing. Woodbine received the ball in the centre of the box. His shot was blocked and the rebound fell to Billy Snaith, who again was in the right place at the right time to lash the ball home and open the scoring.

Chances continued after the goal. Mention to Adam Boulter, who replaced Michael Tuck at the back. His chipped through ball was not only easy on the eye but put Dan Tuck in behind once again.

Despite our early pressure Hucknall grew into the game. After a couple of good chances for them the equaliser came about 10 minutes after the opener. A well worked bit of play down the right lead to a low ball across the face of goal. Joe Butler popped up at the back post with what would have been the easiest finish he’ll get all season.

Following the equaliser the game grew into a very competitive affair with both teams giving their all both offensively and defensively. Copson’s shot from a tight angle had to be saved, and straight down the other end Abell was called into action producing a great save to keep the scores level. An incident followed the resulting corner as one of the Hucknall forwards earned himself a booking after lashing out at Abell with his boot much to Shay’s displeasure. No need for that really.

We were playing some attractive football in the first half, Brownett hit a big switch that wouldn't have looked out of place at any level; finding Bowley down the right who worked hard to play in Woodbine. Unfortunately he was unable to get the shot off.

For all we gave in the first half Hucknall came back with chances of their own. Adam Bowley had to be sharp to track back and beat his man to the header to stop them taking the lead at the back post.

The second half started the way the first ended, both sides coming out strong and the game had a good pace to it. Our first effort came from Woodbine who picked up the ball on the bounce and hit a sweet half volley from distance, which was only a fraction too high.

Hucknall also started strong and it wasn't long before they took the lead, a foul on the edge of the area gave away a free kick in the perfect position. Sam Sims took the responsibility on and his free kick deflected off the wall which sent a fully committed Abell the wrong way, a disappointing way to concede.

Minutes after our problems truly began, Adam Boulter did well to track back to the Hucknall forward who was in behind and his tackle was deemed a penalty by the referee much to the disbelief of our players, management and fans alike but that’s football sometimes. Grant Ryan stepped up with confidence and fired home a strong penalty to double the visitors lead in what was a big turning point for the game.

We gave a good effort to try and drag ourselves back into the tie, Jack Brownett came close as his headed effort bounced off the upright of the goal. More followed as Rawson made his way down the right hand side. His afternoon ended early after a hefty collision with a Town defender. Calum Payne replaced him and we later found out Dillon had fractured his collarbone. Wishing him a speedy recovery after what had been a great start to his season.

Hucknall also made a change as Jamie Crawford replaced Brad Lathall.

Credit to Crawford as it wasn't long before he made an impact down the right, his first shot toward the near post only missed narrowly.

A series of changes followed. Sykes came on for J Bowley and for Hucknall, Brian made way for Nelson. Sanders also came on for Woodbine in what was the final change for Ingles.

Hucknall's 4th came in a real moment of controversy. The corner was swung in and as Abell put his hands on the ball he was knocked to the ground by the scorer. Jenkins poked the ball dropped by Abell home from one yard out, with no action from any of the match officials which was a huge disappointment to say the least.

Things worsened deep into stoppage time for us. Butler broke into a dangerous position and his shot was too strong to be held by Abell, the parry was pounced on by Butler who squared the ball to be tapped in by the substitute Nelson with pretty much the last kick of the game.

Full Time Ingles 1-5 Hucknall Town

Credit to our opposition who worked hard for their result. It was a disappointing final 30 minutes in many ways but I have no doubt our lads will be back stronger in the next game, with good things to take from the match.

Next up for Ingles is our first away day of the season as we travel to Clifton All Whites on Tuesday evening.


Share via