Sat 03
Mens 1s
Bebington 2s
C Swanston (10'), (50'), (69'), M Proctor (16'), (67'), R Cook (22'), (28'), R Barnes (26'), (42'), T Morgan (41'), Unknown (52'), P Sloan (62')
Bebington HOME

Bebington HOME

By Thomas Morgan
Share via

West's destroy Bebington on home soil, Swanny pick up his 1st Hatrick


COOK x 2

This week saw Wests take on Bebington and Liverpool Sefton in another double fixture weekend.
With the season quickly drawing to a close, the race for promotion is close to boiling point; every game is a must win and any slip up can turn an entire season on its head.
On Saturday Wests welcomed Bebington who earlier in the season proved stubborn resistance as KWC scraped by with a narrow 1-2 victory and with the visitors teetering above the relegation zone needing points themselves, Wests were prepared for a hard fought contest.
Wests again fielded a strong side but continued to be without the injured Elliot Dessert.
The game began with Wests taking early possession, controlling the pace of the game and never really subsided from this for the rest of the game.
The home side attacked at every opportunity and were given time and space on the ball in which to move the ball round nicely. Few opportunities arose in the first 10 minutes as the visitors seemed to have a game plan of not conceding and perhaps snatching a victory; a game plan which almost came to fruition months earlier.
However Wests soon broke the deadlock as they began their goal glut. Wests moved the ball around the back nicely from left to right and James Fennell picked out Swanston in the D who had the simplest of tasks of finishing.
Wests doubled their lead almost immediately. Morgan and Sloan moved down the right before Sloan fizzed the ball across the goal for Cook to net at the second attempt.
Wests were in no mood to call it a day and continued their barrage on the away goal. Cook and Barnes worked the ball well in the congested D before teeing up Mark Proctor who, after working himself a better angle, slotted neatly into the bottom corner.
Top scorer Barnes then added his name to the scoresheet, Via West working the ball well from the back and quick ball in from Randell found a unmarked Barnes at the back post for a delightful tap in!
Bebington did have a couple of their own chances despite the dominance of KWC. Firstly a short corner routine was smartly saved by keeper Harris and moments later Harris was on hand to tip a placed shot round the post with full stretch dive.
But as the half drew to a close, it was Wests who finished on top. Proctor went close with a finessed deflection but Cook went one better moments later flicking the ball passed the keeper after effortlessly dancing through two challenges.
The half time whistle must have been a relief for the travelling side but only worse was to await them in the second half.
Wests continued where they had left off and within 6 minutes added a sixth via a well worked short corner. Cook out to Morgan who found Barnes at the back post for a deflected finish.
A minute later another short corner was awarded to Wests and another goal was the outcome, this time courtesy of Mark Bowen lashing the ball through the keeper’s legs and against the backboard.
Morgan and Sloan continued to work well down the right and continued to create opportunities when not being deliberately impended as the game began to take a heated turn. One such run allowed Morgan to cut in behind the defence and across the backline before shooting on goal, the shot was saved but Swanston was onhand to flick the back into the goal for his second and West’s eighth
Undeterred, Morgan produced the same run 5 minutes later but was this time more fortuitous and found the back of the goal despite the efforts of the keeper who despite the scoreline, was having a great game.
Cook was moments later denied his hat-trick by a fabulous save but the keeper could do nothing about Paul Sloan firing home with 10 minutes to go after yet more good work down the right, taking the score into double figures.
Mattear and Fennell swept up any half chance that Bebington could muster denying keeper Harris a single touch of the ball in the second half.
Mark Proctor then executed a diving slide to add the finishing touch to a well worked passing move to grab his second of the afternoon and Wests’s eleventh.
With minutes to go the integral Shaun Wilson battled for the ball and while doing so... smelt what the Rock was cookin’!!
With the last attack of the game the icing was put on the cake when Swanston collected his hat-trick; Bowen supplied the ball and from top D Swanston fired the ball passed the diving keeper to wrap up the game.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 03, Mar 2012




Division 3