Sun 12
Mens 1s
South Lakes 1s
R Barnes (0'), (0'), T Morgan (0')
Glaxo HOME

Glaxo HOME

By Thomas Morgan
Share via

Glaxo show fight


Sunday saw the second of West’s weekend fixtures against local rivals South Lakes.
Having come away with the spoils earlier in the season thanks to a convincing 0-3 victory, Wests held the bragging rights going into this one but would have a battle on their hands to keep them against a fired up visiting side.
Wests fielded the same squad as the day previous but also welcomed Olly Kendrick into the first team since his transfer from Carlisle.
The game began hotly as both sides tussled for any early advantage and from the off, it was clear that losing any 50/50 challenge was not an option.
South Lakes seemed the more skilful side pushing forward but Wests had pace and flair on their side and utilised the counter attack well and although a couple half chances were created from both sides, nothing clear-cut was established until Tom Morgan rounded the keeper and slotted home to give Wests what looked a deserved lead.
The game continued to be a midfield battle but both sides went close uring the next period of play. Lakes fired a short just wide and Swanston was denied by a double save form Lakes keeper Hutchinson.
Wests did eventually double the lead when Mark Proctor fired a shot towards goal and Barnes connected with a deft deflection to steer the ball under the keeper for 2-0.
With the last attack of the half Lakes pulled a goal back via a penalty flick after Sutton was adjudged to have illegally prevented a certain goal despite at first view looking like a brilliant defensive block. Lakes converted and the score at halftime was 2-1.
The last minute goal clearly knocked the wind out of West’s sails as after the restart they struggled to produce the hockey they had in the previous 105minutes of hockey already this weekend.
The game became somewhat scrappy and Lakes equalised soon after via a deflection that took the unaware goal scorer as much by surprise as anyone as the ball trickled over the line after bouncing off his stick.
Minutes later the turnaround was complete. Lakes won a short corner and after a neat off load and shot at the edge of the area, the ball was deflected into the roof of the goal and the visitors took the lead.
The game continued to be a hard fought midfield battle and when Wests did create openings down the right flank, Morgan’s pace was cynically halted through uncontrolled rash tackles. Time and time again.
Wests were eventually thrown a lifeline when, after vigorous protests were declined, another Barnes goal was ruled to stand and teh game was level at 3-3.
However with the next goal surely to be the winner, it was South Lakes that struck with an unmarked back-post tap in with only minutes to spare. South Lakes held on for the points as Wests suffered their 2nd defeat of the season and although remain top, their 3 point safety net has gone.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sun 12, Feb 2012




Division 3