Club History 1 of 2

1. Club History

100 Years of Kew Association Football Club

The club was formed in 1906 by bible class teacher Ken Leatherdale, later to be the club's first President. Initially, players were drawn from the bible class of St Anne's Church on Kew Green and they played only friendly matches. Under the title of St Anne's Kew, their games were played at an area known as 87 Acres. The association with St Anne’s is marked by the representation of the church’s tower on the right hand upper section of the club badge.

In 1911 the club changed its name to Kew Association FC, two years after entering the Middlesex County Amateur League. This was three years before the split between the old Amateurs and the new Professionals (The Football Association).

In the early twenties the Club continued its growth. It entered the Amateur Football Association before moving on to the Southern Olympian and finally the top grade in this football of the Southern Amateur League. The club's most memorable result is an AFA semi-final victory over Ipswich Town in 1937.

Its best years came in the 1970s when Kew was Southern Amateur League Champions and AFA Cup holders on a number of occasions. During this period they also recorded a number of F A Vase victories over such opponents as Marlow Town and Uxbridge FC.

Kew Association always played on rented grounds and it was not until 1996 they were able to conclude an agreement with London Borough of Richmond to have their own ground at Ham. A bungalow on site became the clubhouse bar and changing rooms, but in 2005 it was destroyed by fire. The club continued on, operating out of containers on site and with the hospitality of the local Royal Oak pub, while plans were immediately put into effect to build a replacement. With fundraising and a substantial grant from the Football Foundation, the new clubhouse was built and opened in 2008. The former Sports Minister, Kate Hoey, MP, headed a list of dignitaries at the official opening on 27th September 2008. The following season, upgrading work was carried out on two of our three pitches, installing drainage and irrigation. And the phoenix that arose from the ashes of the old clubhouse was the creation of a youth section, after 100 years of operating as an adults only club. See Youth History for the story of how that came about.

Kew Association has always encouraged involvement and has always discouraged the notion that you have only to turn up, play the match and go home. Members are encouraged to belong to the club and to socialise with opposition and officials, to maintain the highest standards of behaviour on and off the field of play, all of which is part of the ideals fostered by the Amateur Football Alliance.

Membership is open to anybody provided they pay their annual membership and abide by the discipline requirements.