A Point Against Biggleswade, But It Could Have Been More!

A Point Against Biggleswade, But It Could Have Been More!

By Simon Dickens
15 September
Share via

Our 1st Team drew 1 – 1 in this league match at Yarnton Road Stadium - here’s the report…..

Once again it was a glorious sunny day at Yarnton Road andfor the second time this week we held a minutes silence as a mark of respect, this time for Ken Mort MBE who gave around 50 years of unbending service to Kidlington Youth Football Club.

As for the game itself, well that started at a frenetic pace with Kidlington raining down attack after attack on the visitors, shots form Kalem Patterson, Bradley Singh, Lewis Coyle and Kyreece Martei all went close, but no one could find the net.
After about 15 minutes Biggleswade had their first real attack and it resulted in a finely executed goal. Brothers Alex and Laurie Marsh combined well before the latter lashed a shot across keeper Christian Laurence and into the far corner of the net for 0-1.
After this goal the boot seemingly swapped to the other foot as it was Biggleswade who were starting to exert themselves. On 21 minutes Ryan Inskip looked odds on to increase the visitors lead, but instead blazed his attempt from close range over the bar.
On the break in the 25th minute Kyreece Martei broke free down the center of the pitch. He bore down on goal but with the keeper coming out to narrow the angle the striker scuffed his attempt frustratingly wide.
For the remainder of the half the visitors were generally on top firing in 2 or 3 shots which although decent didn’t cause Laurence to much of an issue.
The second half had hardly got underway when Kaylem Patterson equalised for The Greens. A quick breakaway saw the ball passed into Patterson by Coyle, Patterson’s initial shot was blocked by the keeper, but the big man got his head to the rebound, again the keeper saved, but not to be outdone this time Patterson buried the ball into the back of the net at the third attempt, 1-1 on 46 minutes.
With the game now well and truly in the balance both teams were giving it a real go, chances at both ends came and went and then a number of substitutions were made. Kidlington brought on Declan Benjamin for Kyreece Martei and shortly afterwards Harry Williams replaced Bradley Singh.
These changes brought with them extra impetus and Kidlington were now looking to take the game by the scruff of its neck!
Into the last 15 minutes and both Coyle (twice), Patterson and Benjamin were denied by a mixture of solid defending and good goalkeeping as Kidlington applied plenty of late pressure.
During an extended injury time Biggleswade’s Alex Marsh looked to have injured his arm when he fell awkwardly and had to go off for treatment, so the visitors after previously using all their subs played the last couple of minutes with only 10 men. In these remaining minutes The Greens couldn’t find a winner and it ended all square.

Team –
Laurence, Smith, Flanagan, Martin, West, Gabbidon, Coyle, Blackstock, Martei (Benjamin 57), Patterson, Singh (65).
Subs Unused – Willoughby, Peart & Lacey.
Attn -49


Share via