FA Cup Exit

FA Cup Exit

By Simon Dickens
22 September
Share via

The Greens were beaten 5 - 0 by Gloucester City at Yarnton Road.

We bowed out of the FA Cup after a good run this season to Conference North side Gloucester City, but we did give a good account of ourselves, well at least to half time.

The game was once again played in scorching sunshine and started at quite a frantic pace with the ball being punted long by both teams. Early doors and Gloucester were constantly trying to get in behind Kidlington's defence especially down their left flank, but in general The Greens defence was doing well.
The first real goal scoring chance fell to Kidlington, however after Tommy Castle had crossed deep into the visitors box Leam Howards couldn't direct his shot toward goal.
Then from nowhere in the 16th minute a quick interchange of passes saw Marlon Jackson hammer the ball home from about 10 yards out for 1 - 0.
After this goal the frantic pace of the game started to settle with Gloucester certainly retaining possession of the ball far better than the home team.
Both side had a couple of half chances before the break but there were no further goals.

At half time Kidlington suffered a massive blow as striker Kyreece Patterson and Skipper Lewis Gabbidon were forced off because of injury, they were replaced by Anaclet Odhiambo and Ben Willoughby.
At the start of the half Kidlington were awarded a couple of free kicks for fouls but on both occasions Lewis Coyle free kicks came to nothing.
On 50 minutes Kidlington keeper Christian Laurence saved well from a Jackson thunderbolt. Gloucester from this point were starting to boss the match and only a last ditch challange by Dan West thwarted very dangerous looking attack. On 54 minutes the pressure told, captain Sam Avery rose highest at the far post to head home a Joe Hanks cross.
Following this goal a couple of rash challenges from Willoughby and then Declan Benjamin resulted in both players picking up yellow cards.
On 57 minutes it was 3 - 0. Jackson scoring his second with a smart finish from about 10 yards out. Gloucester were firmly in the driving seat now and pushing on for more goals.
Several chances came and went for the visitors before they were awarded a penalty in the 68th minute, Jackson took it to complete his hatrick and make it 4 - 0.
Gloucester eased their foot of the gas after this 4th goal but their was still time for them to add a 5th in the 86th minute, Hanks passed a superb ball to Zack Kotwica down the center of the park and the striker did the rest by way of an excellent finish.
This was the final score and Gloucester deservedly take their place in the next round after putting in a commanding performance, especially in the second period where they ran riot.

Team -Laurence, Smith, Flanagan, Martin, West, Gabbidon (Willoughby 45), Coyle, Benjamin (Williams 79), Howards, Patterson (Odhiambo 45), Castle.
Subs Unused - Singh, Peart, Martei & Lacy.
Attn - 197

Share via